News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

1590a single jack

Started by mandrewbot3k, January 10, 2013, 07:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandrewbot3k

Anybody ever think of or attempt use a stereo jack for input and outout on a 1590a and make some sort of daisy chain signal cable? So Tip in, Ring out, sleeve ground.

I was thinking you'd be able to, especially if you had a loop bypass board, run only one stereo cable in and out from there and then not need a 3pdt on the pedal itself, it would free up considerable room.

I havent made any 1590a pedals yet, but was just curious.  
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

jkokura

Especially if you're using a looper, you could just omit the switch from a 1590a and  you'd have more room. It's not so much the vertical room you need to save to get more in a 1590a, it's getting the switch and knobs in there - that's the room that you'd want to save.

But, I have thought about using some sort of stereo connector, but not for signal, rather for power. I know VFE and some other manufacturers were working on an open source 'phantom' type power source for pedals. Rather than send power along a separate cable, imagine using stereo cables that carry both the signal, power and the ground from pedal to pedal, Basically, you'd have one pedal that has power applied to it (perhaps the first in line, or the last) and then all the rest would be powered. With 1590a's, ommitting the switches and using a bypass looper, and using some sort of 'phantom power' would be pretty incredible.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

mandrewbot3k

Wow, I've never though of that. It seems simple enough?

I actually run a pedalsnake that I made out of a 4 channel xlr to TRS snake from monoprice with the little pigtails too...

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10244&cs_id=1024410&p_id=8763&seq=1&format=2
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10244&cs_id=1024402&p_id=4759&seq=1&format=2

I run my two channels to my amp using two stereo connectors (I'm going to change this to split one channel for my AB instead of wasting 2 channels).. And I use one stereo connector for my AC15 trem/reverb footswitch, then I run power back from behind my amp to my board through another set with an xlr to 2.5mm. I'm probably going change the XLRs to mini dins at some point. But for $20 bucks its a huge time saver and allows me to only have one cable and power my pedals with the same power my amp does. I plan on doing a build report for it at some point.

I could technically run 4 power runs or one pair at say +9/+18 and one pair at -9V, my stereo footswitch, and my Normal/Topboost channels with this 4 channel snake.
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)