News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

DIY Cab Simulator suggestions - Direct out setup questions

Started by Ettore_M, February 02, 2016, 10:08:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ettore_M

Hey guys! Long time no see. I don't have much time lately 'cause life and work got in the way..

I searched the forum for cab sim suggestions, but I had a couple questions so I thought I should write a new thread.

I wanna build a cab sim/ DI combo and I found a lot of DIY designs. But the question is if I build a cab sim, like ROG's Condor, would I need a DI, like for example a H&K Red Box, after it for feeding the signal to the main console (PA system) for a live situation?
I'm just searching a amp-less solution for live performances. Have anyone built and used a setup like this?

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

Thomas_H

Hi Ettore,

you didnt say if its for acoustic or electric guitar.
For acoustic you wont need a cabsim in front, maybe an EQ.
For electric its both.

Built something for live? Yes : http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=18394.0

best
Thomas
DIY-PCBs and projects:

Ettore_M

Quote from: Thomas_H on February 02, 2016, 10:13:16 AM
Hi Ettore,

you didnt say if its for acoustic or electric guitar.
For acoustic you wont need a cabsim in front, maybe an EQ.
For electric its both.

Built something for live? Yes : http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=18394.0

best
Thomas
Thanks Thomas for the uber quick answer.. Great build too!
Yeah, that's the kind of setup I want. However, I want it for use with electric guitar. Sorry I didn't clarify that.
So, you say I want both Cab Sim and balanced output for XLR. Right?
Also, does this seem to work good for your friend in live conditions?

Thanks a lot.

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

Thomas_H

Hi Ettore,

You want the cab-sim and the XLR-out.
It works great for him. The picture was taken on a church stage and the signal was directly mixed into the PA.

best
Thomas

DIY-PCBs and projects:

Ettore_M

So, after a lot of searching, and reading, I decided to build this cab sim posted by JOK3RX over at DIYSB.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?PHPSESSID=336c4544582c9b6253da6476aeaa73df&topic=106185.msg959772#msg959772

Before it, there will be a ROG Azabache (amp-in-a-box) and after, a balanced output.
So there is another question. I searched for balanced-line driving and it seems to me that there are ICs that do exactly that (for example, some THAT ICs) and the DIY way with simple TL072 or NE5532 buffers.
As I don't know anything about balanced or unbalanced lines, is there a better way for balanced XLR output and do you have any specific schematics to recommend for that application?

Hector
- Culturejam

kgull

Hey, I'm just finishing up a layout for the fender lxh2 cab sim, planning to order three from OSH Park for testing this weekend. If you'd like, I can send a board your way to try out. Uses a TC1044 for dual rail power from 9V and will fit in a 1590B.

Let me know if your interested.

Ettore_M

Quote from: kgull on February 03, 2016, 04:00:22 AM
Hey, I'm just finishing up a layout for the fender lxh2 cab sim, planning to order three from OSH Park for testing this weekend. If you'd like, I can send a board your way to try out. Uses a TC1044 for dual rail power from 9V and will fit in a 1590B.

Let me know if your interested.
That's very kind of you, kgull! Thanks  :)

PM sent  ;)

Hector
- Culturejam

Willybomb

The THC line driver really is the easiest way to go.

I did something similar to what you're looking at doing, I'm going to build a simpler one, omitting the eq section and using that cabsim you linked to as I've built it and think it sounds better than the Marshall one I used.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=17425.msg166656#msg166656

Lubdar

Heh interestingly, I'm working on the same type of project right now, Thunderbird->cab sim->Line driver out
(--c^.^)--c

Muadzin

I'm thinking of creating a 19" rack unit with three cab sims. My idea is to split the ingoing signal with a buffer, so it will always have a steady thru signal going into a power amp with actual cabinets for stage sound, and the other signal will go into a cab sim and then a THC balanced line driver, with ground lift and phase reversal switches. This setup times three. The one thing I haven't made up my mind yet is which cab sim to use. Having used two 4x12" Marshall cabs in rehearsal I'm kinda used to that sound.

Thomas_H

The ROG Condor is always a good choice as it has a "Marshall Mod"  to adapt to its frequency range.

By the way: I have stocked a few THAT 1646 chips for the balanced line driver as the chip is hard and expensive to get elsewhere. Its superior to any OpAmp-based solution.
DIY-PCBs and projects: