News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Smoke over water...fire in the forrest

Started by lars, August 21, 2018, 03:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lars

I live in Washington state, and I've got to say, the smoke we're experiencing lately is reaching alarming levels very rapidly. Today has been the worst I can ever remember. Most of the smoke is due to fires burning in B.C. Canada, but Washington state has plenty of fires of it's own. Right now, the city of Wenatchee is in a state of life-threatening levels of smoke. The air quality is worse than most of the worst air quality levels in China's largest metropolitan areas.
When it gets to that point, it is very bad. I've seen people driving around with dust masks on. I'm certain that if this continues much longer, a state of emergency is going to be declared. Here are some pics of the "Diablo Dam" area close to where I live. The first pic I took just a couple weeks ago. The second pic was taken from the same spot, same time, yesterday. It smells like you're sitting in a campfire. It's very bad. You can't see anything beyond a mile. The sun looks like a perfect orange disk, and you can stare right at it. It reminds me of stories of the smog of London from December 1952.

*9/11/18* - Now that the smoke has cleared, a recent article I read about the famous "Golden Spruce", that used to exist in BC, has prompted me to believe these fires are the work of ecoterrorists. Yes, ecoterrorists. Those people that are so concerned about the environment being destroyed that they go out and, wait for it...destroy the environment.
Very logical.

JakeFuzz

I feel you man. I am down in Portland and its the same. Thick smoke and eerie orange sunlight. Lots of cyclists wearing masks. Its pretty rough.

Stomptown

I live in the Columbia River Gorge area and it's today was aweful.  We were Lucky enough to have the smoke clear out for the weekend but the fires definitely putting a damper on August.  I'm guessing it's not as bad as Wenatchee though and it's not quite as bad as last year during the Eagle Creek fire. Stay safe!

jubal81

Yakima checking in.
I didn't think it'd get worse than last year, but here we are. Bought a box of N95 masks last year and they help a lot.

They're forecasting some relief on Thursday. Fingers crossed.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

cooder

Wow .... that's rough... hope it gets better soon. Will send some rain up your way...
BigNoise Amplification

dan.schumaker

I am going to northern Idaho next week, and I keep getting pictures of the hazy sky we will be seeing from the in-laws.

thesmokingman

having been through open range burning and dust storms in my lifetime I gotta say that if I were in the pac-northwest right now I'd have to live on benadryl and possibly an inhaler ... that much crap in the air would put me on my knees with a quickness
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

jkokura

Here in Northern Saskatchewan, we're getting smoke from BC. My brother in Calgary posted pictures to show the smoke over that city and it's crazy how bad it is.

Worst news I heard lately was that some of the fires in BC have been set by an Arsonist.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals