News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

80's wah value

Started by Jmilla, January 24, 2014, 03:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmilla

Are early 80's crybaby wahs worth anything or should I cannibalize the thing and put a weener in there?

raulduke

Go for it; whip your Weener out and stick it in there!

Sorry I couldn't resist  ;D

Jmilla

Hahaha I knew I would get some fun comments lol

AntKnee

I don't know the answer to your question, but I have an 80s Morley wah, that I hate. I'm thinking about making into something, too. I think the crybaby is probably worth more than a morley.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

JohnL

I have an 80's Crybaby that I am working these mods on: http://www.wah-wah.co.uk/diy.html I am doing them one at a time so I know what I like and can undo it. So far the vocal mod is cool but I need to tweek where the pot lines up with the gear.

DutchMF

Quote from: Jmilla on January 24, 2014, 03:49:02 PM
Are early 80's crybaby wahs worth anything or should I cannibalize the thing and put a weener in there?

You should contact Joe Gagan, or search around the forum for his posts. Some versions of the CB are more desirable than others, but I don't remember exactly what versions... As for value, I don't think it will make you a rich man, but I could be wrong. I bought a shell from Joe so I could keep my early '90s CB in tact for sentimental reasons....  ::)

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

snz728

What kind of inductor does it have?  I am modding a cheap used gcb95 that has a red fasel.  Changing the resistors, caps, and transistors, adding and removing buffers educated me a lot about wahs.  Next I'm trying the wener wah with a whipple.

juansolo

If anyone has an inductor that's a metal can filled with resin with two leads out the bottom they want to sell let me know. I've no idea which inductor it is, but it's old and I just liked the sound of the one that passed through our hands for repair (along with the rest of the wah).
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

GrindCustoms

Quote from: juansolo on January 25, 2014, 07:48:32 PM
If anyone has an inductor that's a metal can filled with resin with two leads out the bottom they want to sell let me know. I've no idea which inductor it is, but it's old and I just liked the sound of the one that passed through our hands for repair (along with the rest of the wah).

The early 535 (pre-Q) where using those, sounds really great, they where either using those or the Pile-o-Dime,  PoD and potted inductor sounded exactly the same to me in a same circuit... so i suspect that it's a potted PoD.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

snz728

I think early 535Q with 18v two battery snaps has the metal can inductor