News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Black Fuzz--Ibanez Standard Fuzz

Started by jtn191, December 28, 2011, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtn191

Here's my new Ibanez Standard Fuzz--instant Black Keys!
Sounds kinda like my Fuzz Factory through my Peavey test amp...Kinda funny that I put such a nasty thing in that nice enclosure. The wiring is pretty messy due to my impatience--hence the lack of a gut shot

My favorite part is how the LED looks like HAL or that steering wheel thing from Wall-E when it's on

^pre-switch

Many thanks to Magic for his vero layout from a loooong time ago, which has been verified at least twice. This is my first vero build!! phew...
PS my only test guitar on hand was an acoustic, but I think I'll have to modify some of the biasing resistors etc for less gating and more volume. It's also pretty noisy, so I'll see what I can do about that

Ettore_M

Pretty awesome, man! I like the colour and style of this enclosure.. It's an awesome-sounding pedal! I've built one some weeks ago, using the schematic by analogguru. I made it on vero too, but because I did the layout, it was pretty messy.. But, finally it worked just fine ;D ! It's a kinda octave fuzz and the tone change feature sounds really good!  :D [I'll post some pictures. Hope you don't mind.  :-[ ]

P.S. Could you tell me where did you find the layout? I would be thankful!  :)
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

jtn191

I got it from right here http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=1730.msg12948#msg12948

Sweet, the orange makes me think of the Big Cheese I wanna build soon!
btw, does yours have volume/noise and gating issues?
I heard a rumor that there was two versions of the schem...and I built based on the one with issues.

But I did find this http://www.guitargeek.com/chat/stompboxes-7/ibanez-standard-fuzz-mod-help-berarduur-80362/

Ettore_M

Thanks for the link.. Really helpful!
As for the noise issues, I didn't have any.. All the fuzzes I've built have some noise. I think this one has a little more, but nothing too extreme.  Just the standard fuzz noise. 
Gating? If you could explain what this mean, I could help you..
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

the3secondrule

if no-one else is gonna ask: Where did you get that SWEET enclosure???  ;D

Killer build man!
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

jtn191

@Ettore: fixing the noise should be just a case of moving the circuit around, it wasn't there when I was probing around all the way to the out put of the circuit. Gating is when there is a quick decay or cutoff to the end of notes. Not much sustain

@the3secondrule: from here http://www.ebay.com/itm/60s-Reissue-Pedal-Enclosure-Fuzz-Project-Box-Made-USA-RI-Folded-Steel-/320781926498
use cutting oil  ;)

bigmufffuzzwizz

That box is really cool! Thanks for posting the link, I'll have to grab a few of those.
I'm glad the layout worked for you, another guy sent me a message about it sounding not right. I should have labeled all the standing resistors as they aren't in numerical order..I'll let you know when I do that!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

jtn191

Right now it's sounding pretty good!, I just had to make sure all the transistors/diodes were making good contact in their sockets and the crossed legs of the trannies weren't touching. My current test setup is a bit deceiving though because I'm going Acoustic Gtr w/ SD Woody->Neutrino (as preamp)->ISF->cheap-as-dirt peavy amp

stevewire

jtn,
Hey.  Awesome looking pedal.  I have been watching those enclosures on ebay, but I haven't jumped for the fact that they are steel.  I have been cautious over the fact that I believe they may be difficult to drill.  I don't own a drill press, only a hand drill.  Was it difficult to drill it?  If it isn't a big deal I may buy one to house a Tonebender or Supa Fuzz; although, I do want to build up one of these JMK Standard Fuzz.

nzCdog

Two sweet builds!  That black enclosure looks awesome :o

jtn191

It was actually pretty hard to drill. I used a drill press and recall having to use cutting oil  ;)