News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Catch-22

Started by G.G., September 23, 2014, 03:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G.G.

Hi Guys,
This uses the snazzy red Grind Customs board. So many misadventures along the way with this one I was really glad to finally be able to use it. I had soldered in the board-mounted pots and then got the impression that I had reversed the Gain and Volumes labels on the decal, so I unsoldered the pots and wired them in so I could reverse their positions. Then realized the decal was actually correct, and had to put the board-mounted pots back in. Then when I did a pre-box test there was no sound at all. It was either a bad charge pump IC or a cold solder joint somewhere because it came to life after I went over it a few times. I probably could have done top-side jacks had I planned it out better. Sounds very good now, excited to have it on the board!!

brand0nized

Awesome! I want to build this one too! Is that a 1590b?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brejna

G.G.

thanks guys! Yes, it's in a 1590B.

muddyfox

What's the story behind the name?

G.G.

Quote from: muddyfox on September 23, 2014, 05:20:44 PM

What's the story behind the name?
It's the Portuguese version of the name of the circuit it's based on. Not super creative but I needed to get the decal done quickly.

mjcyates

Looks great! I really like the sound of the one I built.

GrindCustoms

Looks great Gray! Glad you sort it out and mostly that you dig it :)
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

wstimson

Looks good, man.  I finished one of those up a couple weeks ago and I'm enjoying it.

What op amp did you end up using?  I tested out 4 different ones and settled on OP275.

G.G.

I think I went with a 2272. Which ones did you try & how did they sound? I need to test a few out, but was so pleased to actually have it working I forgot about doing that.

wstimson

I tried the 2272, tl072, op275, and the nec5532. 

We aren't talking about huge differences, but I felt the distortion was a bit more appealing with the op275.

Leevibe

Monochromatic in the coolest way!! Very well done!

Guybrush

Looks ace. I recally dig the red knobs.

G.G.

thanks again guys! I see that Tayda has the op275 so I'll give it a try, thanks for the tip!

karter2000

Yeah, I just tried the op275 with mine, and I really like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk