News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Vintage Musicial Instruments Thread

Started by Timko, January 10, 2017, 05:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tweasderd

matmosphere

Don't know how I never put this into the thread. There needs to be some low end in here.

The one on the left is a short scale '64 (near as I can tell) Epiphone Rivoli bass that I've had for about 15 years. The other my brother built for me from an inexpensive kit. The kit turned out so well that I have been thinking of selling the original, because it just doesn't see a ton of action anymore.

Aentons

Here's my vintage acoustic stuff...

1960 Gibson LG-1
1970's Chicago (made in Korea)
1970's no name japanese D-35 copy

jimilee

I have an old Cort bass from the 80s. It was my very first. I'm not sure that's vintage, it's just old. Never getting rid of it, it's seen a lot of bars and frat houses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gordo

The difference between Vintage and vintage is $$$ (read collectible).  Who know's, this time next year might be the year for 80's Cort basses.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Aentons

Here's my vintage electric stuff...

1979 Rickenbacker 4001 Autumn burst
1989 Charvel Fusion Deluxe (Rainbow Crackle)
19?? Tiesco Del-Rey (needs bridge and pickups)

jimilee

Nice stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

pickdropper

Quote from: Aentons on August 08, 2021, 12:59:30 AM

I LOVE that Charvel, but I'm not sure most would consider it vintage.  I view my '91 Ibanez RG570 the same way.  Clearly, I don't really subscribe to the 30 year theory.  Obviously, it's up for debate.

I had an early 90's Charvel Fusion.  It sounded great, but the dinky body was a bit small for me, so I ended up selling it since my Jackson MIJ SL3 fits me better.  The Fusion had much better pickups, though.  The Jackson SL3 might have had the worst stock pickups I've had in any guitar.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

matmosphere

Quote from: pickdropper on August 08, 2021, 12:29:16 PM

I LOVE that Charvel, but I'm not sure most would consider it vintage.  I view my '91 Ibanez RG570 the same way.  Clearly, I don't really subscribe to the 30 year theory.  Obviously, it's up for debate.

I had an early 90's Charvel Fusion.  It sounded great, but the dinky body was a bit small for me, so I ended up selling it since my Jackson MIJ SL3 fits me better.  The Fusion had much better pickups, though.  The Jackson SL3 might have had the worst stock pickups I've had in any guitar.

I kind of agree, but it's hard because "vintage" is a moving target that relies on the marketplace more than anything else. Ten years ago all the Tiesco, National, Kent, Kay, and weird for old guitars of the 50's-70's were all just considered junk and it would be rare to see one sell for as much as $200. Now vintage Fender and Gibson stuff has reached way unobtainable prices and those odd japanese guitars are fetching $500-$1000, sometimes even more.  A 1950's Kay bass isn't much more "vintage" than it was 10 years ago and it certainly isn't a better guitar than it ever was, but there is a market there now, so the term has gotten tagged to that stuff.

matmosphere

All this is to say that at some point that Charvel's value will probably spike up quiet a bit, but it's difficult to predict when.

Oh, and get that poor teisco a pickup and a bridge, it looks like it dying to be played.

pickdropper

Quote from: matmosphere on August 08, 2021, 01:32:27 PM

I kind of agree, but it's hard because "vintage" is a moving target that relies on the marketplace more than anything else. Ten years ago all the Tiesco, National, Kent, Kay, and weird for old guitars of the 50's-70's were all just considered junk and it would be rare to see one sell for as much as $200. Now vintage Fender and Gibson stuff has reached way unobtainable prices and those odd japanese guitars are fetching $500-$1000, sometimes even more.  A 1950's Kay bass isn't much more "vintage" than it was 10 years ago and it certainly isn't a better guitar than it ever was, but there is a market there now, so the term has gotten tagged to that stuff.

Yeah, I agree that "vintage" seems to be a moving target.

As for Tiesco, Kay, etc.  I still think a lot of them ARE junk.  I know that there are good examples, but most of them that I've seen are very poorly made (including one I have).  The pickups are often cool and weird, though.  If they can be made playable, I see why folks like them, but I don't believe it's because they are well made.
Function f(x)

matmosphere

Quote from: pickdropper on August 08, 2021, 02:11:40 PM
Quote from: matmosphere on August 08, 2021, 01:32:27 PM

Yeah, I agree that "vintage" seems to be a moving target.

As for Tiesco, Kay, etc.  I still think a lot of them ARE junk.  I know that their are good examples, but most of them that I've seen are very poorly made (including one I have).  The pickups are often cool and weird, though.  If they can be made playable, I see why folks like them, but I don't believe it's because they are well made.

I agree completely, a lot of those are just bad guitars. There are some real gems though. And I should say that my standard for playability in a guitar has always been low, probably because it is proportional to my skill as a player.

electrosonic

I haven't posted in a while, because I haven't built any pedals this year, though I did build some speakers (LXmini) and am working on an Elliott Sound power amplifier.

1956 Gibson TV Special
1970s Fender Telecaster Deluxe
1992 American Standard Stratocaster
Mid 70s Fender Lap Steel (8 string)
1964 Fender Super Amp - (rescued from a painter's studio, which is why the grill cloth has paint on it)

I haven't really bought much gear since I started a family almost 20 years ago - I bought everything here in the 90s, the Stratocaster I bought new.

Andrew

pickdropper

Quote from: electrosonic on August 09, 2021, 08:10:36 AM
I haven't posted in a while, because I haven't built any pedals this year, though I did build some speakers (LXmini) and am working on an Elliott Sound power amplifier.

1956 Gibson TV Special
1970s Fender Telecaster Deluxe
1992 American Standard Stratocaster
Mid 70s Fender Lap Steel (8 string)
1964 Fender Super Amp - (rescued from a painter's studio, which is why the grill cloth has paint on it)

I haven't really bought much gear since I started a family almost 20 years ago - I bought everything here in the 90s, the Stratocaster I bought new.

Andrew

Man, that LP Special is AMAZING.
Function f(x)

electrosonic

It's a great guitar - amazing tone. It was considered a "student model" when it was made. The body is a slab, no contouring like the higher end models of the day. The fret board radius is a lot bigger than a Fender, it takes a little more effort to play. That's the original (or I guess period correct) case too, it came with it.  I noticed on Reverb that those old Lifton cases go for a lot of money too. A friend of mine bought it in Montana somewhere in the late 80s. I'll have to ask him how much he paid for it - great guy - he let me take it and  let me pay in instalments (vintage gear was much cheaper pre internet).

I bought the Telecaster Deluxe at the same time. I actually lent the Telecaster back to the seller (he is one of my oldest friends) and he had it for about ten years - that guitar has travelled more than me from Montana to  Europe, Montreal and Japan - I think it might have been used on a Godspeed you Black Emperor album - I'll have to confirm that.

Two more - mid 70s Fender short scale bass and 70s (?) Hagstrom II.

I saw Nels Cline play an identical Hagstrom II many years ago with the Geraldine Fibbers.

Andrew.