News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

JHS Moonshine

Started by Alaboogie, July 31, 2014, 03:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alaboogie

I've been looking around (here, FSB, DIYSB), and I can't seem to find exactly what JHS did to the TS to make it into the moonshine. I know they changed it to 18v, but not sure what else they've done...can anyone shed some light?

selfdestroyer

As far as I know its just an added charge pump and LED clipping

This may help

Cody

Alaboogie

Haha wow really? I really thought it was much more than that, no wonder no one really bothered to even mention the mods on this thing (not that i know how to add in a 18v charge pump  :-[). Thanks so much!

Edit: So wait, is this like the Maxon OD 820? That has a charge pump (MAX1044 if i'm not mistaken)

selfdestroyer

Quote(not that i know how to add in a 18v charge pump)

Just buy a RoadRage PCB from Madbean and use the 18V out from it to the Tube Screamer PCB.
Make sure you use electrolytic capacitors that rate higher than 18V. Just get 25V or higher and you will be fine.

Should work just fine.

Cody

dondougie

Quote from: Alaboogie on July 31, 2014, 07:04:13 PM
So wait, is this like the Maxon OD 820? That has a charge pump (MAX1044 if i'm not mistaken)

The OD820 has a gain pot that blends between clean and clipped signals, more like a Klon than a TS.

Alaboogie

Yeah I saw that they put in a dual ganged pot in there for the gain on the Maxon and compared it to the way the klon does it with the clean and dirty signal.

The road rage is a good idea, so effectively the road rage is like a pump just external from the circuit? I should do that, although I'm definitely underwhelmed by this "modded" tubescreamer...kinda disappointing I thought they would've put a little more effort into modding the circuit. I mean I do admit I'm not entirely sure what the schematic looks like for the moonshine but I wouldn't be surprised if it was any one of the TS variants with like you said switched out diodes for the LEDs and 18v

selfdestroyer

This is the case with what JHS pedals I have tried/seen. They are clones with not much changed. I can't speak for their new line of stuff but the old line of pedals are definitely clones and nothing much added.

Cody

GrindCustoms

Funny that there's only one LED though, looks like the clipping switch goes from symetrical to assymetrical 2 Si in serie with LED on one side that in the end gives fwd voltage similar to a symetrical LED! If it's the case i do find that switching clever.

Edit:

Ah! There's also a 1N4001 in the clipping thing... what the heck is happening in there, i'm now interested in it.....
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Blues Healer

I ran across this pedal today, and was very impressed with the graphics. I think it shows their attention to detail.  ;)

oh, wait ... incidentally, I have a Maxon OD820. It does have a dual ganged pot, as well as [something] that doubles the voltage to 18v. so, it's a combination of both of those. increased frequency response, dynamics, etc, etc ...

not to spam the thread, but I have an 820 up for sale on Reverb, and it's likely a more professional pedal than JHS.  :)

btw, I think even Fulltone mentions running the FullDrive at 18v. It's not such a novel idea, although I happen to think a little ol' Maxon OD808 sounds fine at 9v.
"music heals"

Alaboogie

There is so much fine detail in that design for sure!  :P All kidding aside, not gonna lie I actually really like the way JHS puts their designs on their pedals, especially the handpainted stuff. Since i don't have a laser printer to etch enclosures (which is why even though since starting this hobby in January I've made close to...20+ pedals? i don't put them up in the build reports) I ordered a bunch of Posca pens off of Amazon to handpaint my stuff to make them preeeetttyyy  ;D.

As far as obtaining a Maxon OD820, I was planning on ordering a pcb from Aion over at his site, which I really really like btw, I've built a bunch of his stuff and all his boards/quality is top notch.

Blues Healer

Quote from: Alaboogie on August 03, 2014, 04:06:36 AM
As far as obtaining a Maxon OD820, I was planning on ordering a pcb from Aion over at his site, which I really really like btw, I've built a bunch of his stuff and all his boards/quality is top notch.

haha ... I just saw that aion board the other day. surprised me, 'cause it's the first pcb I've seen of an 820, which IMO is a great pedal.
"music heals"

TGP39

Quote from: Alaboogie on August 03, 2014, 04:06:36 AM

+1. I've talked with Kevin over at Aion and he's a very knowledgeable guy. I agree that his boards are top notch as well. I think I've bought every one he offers.  His Build reports are out of this world. I've learned a lot just from reading them.
     @Alaboogie;  Don't be afraid/embarrassed to post one of your builds.  Everyone here cares more about learning from each other's ideas than if it's preety.  ;D
I've learned tons just from seeing how other builders do things. I guarantee you'll find positive comments and helpful suggestions.  Cheers.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.