News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

kokbox question

Started by joer0952, April 29, 2011, 11:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joer0952

Does anyone know where to get a 9mm 20ka pot for the mid pot on the kokbox?  I have all the other 9mm pots that I got from smallbear, but they dont seem to stock a 9mm 20ka pot.

stecykmi

25k will work well enough.

joer0952

I have the 25K, but its linear not audio tapered.  IDK if that will make a huge difference.

jkokura

There are ways to 'make' a larger value pot into a smaller value pot with a different taper. I'm not an expert in such things, but if you google something along the lines of "potentiometer value change" there are calculators that will tell you how to combine resistors and pots into lower value pots into an approximate value and taper that you might require. This might be a good solution.

HOWEVER, and this is a note for everyone, there is NOTHING wrong with using a wrong value pot in ANY instance. Sometimes you'll really like the result, sometimes you won't. I regularly use the wrong value or taper, and it's fine. For that matter, pots usually have a 20% rating, so sometimes a B25K pot might actually be a B20K pot! All that to say, playing with tapers and values on pots can be a great experiment and produce cool or at least interesting results.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

stecykmi

Quote from: joer0952 on April 30, 2011, 12:08:53 AM
I have the 25K, but its linear not audio tapered.  IDK if that will make a huge difference.

hard to say without building it. it will always work, but the knob might have a funny feel to it.