News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How about some free music?

Started by Jabulani Jonny, October 12, 2014, 06:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jabulani Jonny

So I get together about once a year with three old high school & college friends to make music.  We generally pick 15-20 of some of our favorite tunes and we spend the weekend playing & recording them, for the sake of posterity nothing more.  Last October we holed up in a beachside cabin for 3 days for another round.  Since there are four of us, we basically track everything we can live, played against a midi drum track, then come back and lay the vocals against the live track.  We try our best to leave room for the live feel and some jamming, to hearken to our Deadhead roots. 

At any rate, below is a link to a Dropbox folder with the files from that session, called the Feudal Sessions.  You can download the whole thing as a zip, unzip and drag into iTunes.  I played lead on half to most of the songs and sang on a few; Desire, Everybody Needs Love & Twilight, if you want to put a voice to a post. 

It ain't perfect, but we love going back and listening to these recordings.  Hope you guys enjoy. 
Scattered & Pickled - Feudal Sessions

EDIT: Since John made the request below, I'll go ahead and put the links to the other two "albums" in this first post, along with my solo project done a while back. 

Scattered & Pickled - Are We Live?

Scattered & Pickled - Suite Sessions Gone too Pharr 

Jonathan Payne - Ten Song Conversation
Jonathan

midwayfair

I love the whole sound of this. The vocals and the instrumentation are outstanding throughout. You guys really nailed a lot of these.

Jabulani Jonny

Thanks Jon, I appreciate that.  We're certainly no golden throated divas, and things can start getting a little "loose" after midnight.  We're all guitar players, but we try to pick up the slack on the other instrumentation when we can.  We need a keys player.  I usually have to come in and peck out chords or use EZKeys for pads, etc. 

There were a couple songs that needed a touch more volume and the wrong version of You Are My Face made it up.  All files should be updated now though.  Thanks again for listening. 
Jonathan

midwayfair

Was listening to this again today. Can I has more?

Jabulani Jonny

Quote from: midwayfair on January 27, 2016, 12:56:36 AM
Was listening to this again today. Can I has more?

Day ....made. 

Here are two of our other concoctions from several years back.  Our next weekend together is April 9-10 and we've decided to focus on one artist for this time around.  We settled on Tom Petty and we've pulled together about 15 of the not-so-played-out tunes in his library that we're going to focus on.  Should be a ton of fun. 

Here's a download link for each of the other two Scattered & Pickled "albums" (loosely used):
Scattered & Pickled - Are We Live?

Scattered & Pickled - Suite Sessions Gone too Pharr 

Yeah there's a story behind the name.  We circled up in Atlanta to see My Morning Jacket at the Fox.  Made it to the room by midnight, which was a Hampton suite on the ground floor, rearranged the furniture and proceeded to make music until 4:00 AM.  Oh and the hotel was on Pharr road, so there you go.

John, if you don't mind, I'd actually like to run the mixes of our next session by you for mix tips.  I tend to battle the vocals on my buddy Danny's voice.  It can be cutting in the upper mids, but I can't cut too much or it loses all the body.  I could sure use a second opinion when the time comes. 

As I said before, this is really just us having fun getting together for a jam, so keep that in mind when listening.  We're not going for the perfect mix and we certainly didn't get the perfect performance.  Enjoy what you can!

Oh, and while I'm at it, here's a link to download my solo album I wrote and produced in 2000.  I did it all on a Roland VS-1680.  I know, right?  All parts done by me except the drums and some BGV's.  I played the part of a singer-songwriter/fly-fishing guide a bit back in the day.  Then I became a banker.  Go figure.

Jonathan Payne - Ten Song Conversation
Jonathan

matmosphere

Nice, only had a chance to listen to a few songs so far but it sounds great. I was expecting more effects though  ;)

I actually saw a vs-1680 on Craig's list awhile back. It was so cheap I almost picked it up just for old times sake. (Plus it's a little nicer than the old fostex thing I've been limping along with)

dan.schumaker

I've listened to a few too, and they all sound really good.  Its a real good selection of songs and artists, like something I would do :)

midwayfair

Thanks for the links! Internet's been unusable at home so I'm listening to a few things at work.