News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

knobs sourcing?

Started by add4, May 16, 2015, 04:45:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

add4

not too sure where to put this so it goes in this section.

Where do you buy your knobs? eBay? online seller?
i'm looking for decently priced aluminium knurled knobs, 13mm, like those : http://www.musikding.de/Aluminium-rippled-knob-black-13mm , in silver/aluminium.

Any good seller on eBay?
decent quality would be nice too, and almost free of course, and if they could wash my car too that would be perfect..

blearyeyes

add4

Muadzin

I suspect that, like me, you're boned then. All American suppliers are useless because of exorbitant shipping costs and import charges. Not to mention the strong dollar. Sometimes I think American webshops don't want to sell outside of the US. Only the Chinese will ship cheap knobs for next to nothing and be willing to help you circumvent import charges. On the other hand they do tend to sell crap. These days I just buy my knobs from Tayda as their Marshall and Pointer style knobs are decent and the only ones I use anyway. Marshall knobs for all things that go grrr, growl and LOUD, and pointer knobs for all things that go woosh, warble, whacka and ping... ing.... ng.

If anyone knows any alternatives that work for us Europeans (and prove me wrong), I'd be happy to know them too.

micromegas

Plastic and bakelite knobs - Retroamplis (Spain)

Plastic & aluminium knobs - Musikding

Strange shaped knobs - Banzai

Aluminium knobs (13mm) - diyguitarpedals.com.au (Australia but cheap&fast shipping) and Musikding
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

Muadzin

Quote from: micromegas on May 16, 2015, 11:35:02 AM

Aluminium knobs (13mm) - diyguiarpedals.com.au (Australia but cheap&fast shipping) and Musikding

I think he knew about Musikding already and was looking for something cheaper.

micromegas

Quote from: Muadzin on May 16, 2015, 01:35:27 PM
Quote from: micromegas on May 16, 2015, 11:35:02 AM

Aluminium knobs (13mm) - diyguiarpedals.com.au (Australia but cheap&fast shipping) and Musikding

I think he knew about Musikding already and was looking for something cheaper.
right! Paul's are cheaper then :)
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

midwayfair

add4

hey all,

thanks for your contributions and help, it's precious as always.

i was actually looking for other sources than musikding, the price is not the (only) reason. it's about type of knobs available also. i'd like to find more strange/cool looking knobs, and some options are not existing at musikding.

state of my knob sourcing knowledge as of today

musikding: prices reasonable, classic knobs, quality ok, nothing crazy
Tayda is crap quality.
banzai is nice but has crazy high shipping prices
guys from the us: not worth it

i guess i'm really searching for a reliable eBay seller with great choice, good quality and reasonable prices and shipping. i understand that cheap means crap so i can go a bit higher than cheap without problem if it means choice and quality, but i feel stolen when i have to pay 8 times the price of a package at other stores, in the same country,to get the products to me (banzai history here)

alanp

Tayda's 1510's are good enough (the set screws go into a small metal plate) but their 1900H's are crap.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

raulduke

Thonk (DIY synthesiser supplier) have some interesting knobs:

http://www.thonk.co.uk/product-category/diy-accessories/knobs/

They are all great quality, and shipping is reasonable.

Unfortunately you are never going to get rock bottom prices and top notch quality.

In my experience (ahem... Tayda... ) the two are mutually exclusive.

davent

Quote from: raulduke on May 18, 2015, 11:28:11 AM
Thonk (DIY synthesiser supplier) have some interesting knobs:

http://www.thonk.co.uk/product-category/diy-accessories/knobs/

They are all great quality, and shipping is reasonable.

Unfortunately you are never going to get rock bottom prices and top notch quality.

In my experience (ahem... Tayda... ) the two are mutually exclusive.

RG Keen's law of two regarding ordering parts, quality/inexpensive/fast, pick two, best you can hope for.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?