News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Merlin's Glassblower / total newbie

Started by dicey_reilly, January 12, 2024, 10:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dicey_reilly

I'm a total newbie with a soldering iron, and I'm trying to build Merlin's Glassblower booster from THCustom.  I managed to make some magic smoke on my first attempt at powering it up, so trying to figure out now what I've done wrong!

1) I've done some continuity tests with a multimeter, and getting a beep for everything that should be connected to ground from the circuit diagram.  But I'm also getting a beep between ground and BI or board input.  Is that correct, or does it indicate that I've shorted something out?  I'm also getting a beep from three of the 3PDT legs (if it were a smartphone keypad, they'd be numbers #1, #5 and #8)

2) Also, on the 3PDT board, it looked like a white LED was supplied with the kit, so I used a resistor leg to short across the RLED pads.  But I notice now that I have one 2.2k resistor left over from the kit - should I have used that in the RLED spot?

3) I've also put the multimeter across each capacitor on the board, and each one is giving me some kind of readout, so does that mean the capacitors are o.k., or is it still possible I've fried some of them?  And is it likely I've fried some other components, the transistors or the IC, for instance?  Is there a way I can check those with the multimeter?

For reference:
- for wiring the jacks, battery & power socket, I was following this: http://www.diy-musikding.de/content/001-Basics/battwire.pdf
- for populating the board, i followed these instructions: https://diy.thcustom.com/?wpdmdl=3881

Apologies for my newbie-ness, and I'll probably end up ordering a replacement kit from THCustom, but I'm also keen to learn from my stupid mistakes rather than repeat them.  Thank you for any help you can offer!

NorthCoast

QuoteApologies for my newbie-ness

Not at all!

Quote2) Also, on the 3PDT board, it looked like a white LED was supplied with the kit, so I used a resistor leg to short across the RLED pads.  But I notice now that I have one 2.2k resistor left over from the kit - should I have used that in the RLED spot?

Yeah, the LED needs a resistor. Did it ever light up?
"People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand..." - Claude Monet

djaaz

Your ground wire might need some soldering.

R5 & R7 on the picture seem like they're in contact. According to the schematic they should not.
Same for R4 & R2.
I would check your board and make sure that there are no contact between component that should not be there according to the schematic.

dicey_reilly

thank you NorthCoast & djaaz, really appreciate the help on this.

@NorthCoast: yes, the LED flashed once the first time i pushed the 3PDT switch.  i'll replace that resistor leg with the 2.2k ohm resistor now and see if i get anything, but i fear i've blown some components.

@djaaz: thanks for looking over the pictures so closely, that's great help and i'll see if there is contact there, and see if i can manage to desolder any offenders...

NorthCoast

Quote@NorthCoast: yes, the LED flashed once the first time i pushed the 3PDT switch.  i'll replace that resistor leg with the 2.2k ohm resistor now and see if i get anything, but i fear i've blown some components.

Ah, ok, if it flashed quickly, and then went off while there was still power to the circuit, then that flash was the LED getting too much current due to the lack of a current limiting resistor, which is what RLED is. The LED is blown and will need to be replaced.
"People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand..." - Claude Monet

NorthCoast

QuoteBut I'm also getting a beep between ground and BI or board input.  Is that correct

Yeah, if it is in bypass, the input is grounded. It shouldn't be grounded when the pedal is engaged, though.

Madbean has a great explanation about footswitch wiring here:

https://www.madbeanpedals.com/tutorials/downloads/MBP_FootswitchWiring.pdf

dicey_reilly

Thanks, NorthCoast, that's exactly what I need to know.  I've just replaced the LED, put in that 2.2k resistor, and SUCCESS!  The LED is lighting up and staying lit.  Thank you so much for the help with this.

Oh, that's super about the 3PDT grounding - I am indeed only getting that continuity when the switch is engaged - thank you again!

I'll take a closer look at the potential contact issues flagged by djazz now before I count my chickens...

dicey_reilly

I had a closer look and it doesn't look like there's any stray contacts from my dodgy soldering, as far as I can tell.

I tried passing audio through the circuit.  Bypass works fine ;).  However I'm getting nothing once the switch is engaged.  I presume this is because I blew something in the circuit (there was smoke from *something* the first time I powered up the circuit!).  If I remember correctly, the smoke looked to be coming from somewhere around C2/C5, but I can't be sure.  Is there any way I can track down what I've blown, or do I need to remove individual components from the board to check them? 

djaaz

Can you take another picture of your board from the top? So that we can see all components just like in the doc?

djaaz

I don't see an obvious thing. So i'll say congrats, troubleshooting will make you progress.
Take a look at the tech help sections, there should be some post about the troubleshooting steps.
Then you should repost this in the Thcustom section.

I would say in the meanwhile, check your wiring. Check the obvious thing that should not be connected to each other (no continuity between 9v & ground for instance). Make a visual inspection of the different components.

And then you can also check the components that do not need to be removed (transistors)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBZ9kvkgu8E

Good hunting.

dicey_reilly

Super, djaaz, much appreciated, and I'll disappear down the rabbit hole for a while and see what I can find...

dicey_reilly

Thanks, djazz, it looks like I've blown one of the transistors, which leads me to another newbie question: do the numbers/letters AFTER BC327 mean anything on the transistor?  The one I've blown is marked "BC327-25 T6 E" on the casing, but I can't find a local replacement with those exact markings.  Is, for instance, a BC327-40 BU transistor o.k., or does the "40 BU" mean something incompatible? 

djaaz

The letter following the designation won't matter much in the context.
You need also to check that you're not going to blow the next one.

dicey_reilly

thanks, djazz!  can you point me in the direction of how to check i'm not going to blow the next one?  is it a matter of visually inspecting all the soldering, or is there a process to follow around the circuit with a multimeter or something like that?