News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Until this moment, i did'nt knew.

Started by GrindCustoms, September 20, 2014, 04:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mremic01

I've got a Holy Grail and a Holy Grail Plus that I should probably poke around inside. The regular HG could use a 2.1mm DC jack, and the HG Plus never turns on the first time the switch is stomped. These would be great pedals, but EHX seems to miss the mark somewhere on almost every model.

alanp

I need to get out in the open air more. I caught myself thinking just now that the curved traces on the PCB look cute!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

neve1272

i have always been drawn to the ehx stuff .....and i cant explain it
mostly all that was available was boss or ehx.....
Kip

Scruffie

As many know... I find EHX addictive and am well versed in, I think there's 3 reasons for that. First the designers (Julia Truchess, Howard Davis are both fantastic, in fact I think Julia doesn't get enough credit, let alone the lesser known guys) they put out some incredible products. Second, the innovation, it continues to this day, but back then, damn... the attack decay!? It's not a great pedal but to do that all analog, and the guitar and micro synth (look in to the rack mount EHX guitar synth if you don't know it, i've heard one demo and seen the schematic... holy shit) the polyphase's envelope phasing, plus the basics and third, I admire in two ways the small box one switch/one pots like small clones and stones to medium boxes like the big muff and electric mistress to the big boxes like the deluxe memory man, design wise keeping the amount of controls restrained but still allowing those controls to reach some weird ass, even noisy (without caring that some wouldn't want those unrestricted) sounds.

I'll give them one more, build quality may not have always been 100% but a lot of those pedals are still going 40 years strong and they offer a bang for buck I don't think any of the other big guys matched.
Works at Lectric-FX

GrindCustoms

Quote from: Scruffie on September 22, 2014, 12:16:54 AM
As many know... I find EHX addictive and am well versed in, I think there's 3 reasons for that. First the designers (Julia Truchess, Howard Davis are both fantastic, in fact I think Julia doesn't get enough credit, let alone the lesser known guys) they put out some incredible products. Second, the innovation, it continues to this day, but back then, damn... the attack decay!? It's not a great pedal but to do that all analog, and the guitar and micro synth (look in to the rack mount EHX guitar synth if you don't know it, i've heard one demo and seen the schematic... holy shit) the polyphase's envelope phasing, plus the basics and third, I admire in two ways the small box one switch/one pots like small clones and stones to medium boxes like the big muff and electric mistress to the big boxes like the deluxe memory man, design wise keeping the amount of controls restrained but still allowing those controls to reach some weird ass, even noisy (without caring that some wouldn't want those unrestricted) sounds.

I'll give them one more, build quality may not have always been 100% but a lot of those pedals are still going 40 years strong and they offer a bang for buck I don't think any of the other big guys matched.

That's pretty much dead on what i think, i mean.. other than the build quality and all that... i don't give a damn about that because i can fix it, even if one trick ponys sometime... the trick they do will be unique to them and that's what i dig the most i believe.

Here's a CrapClip of the YTriggered i've just done, that sound when control is dialed in UpSweep with the depth switch on... is something i have'nt heard any other envellope do, well there's maybe one out there but i have'nt played it yet.

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

lincolnic

I love EH too. I was just surprised by the build quality, that's all.

Scruffie

Quote from: lincolnic on September 22, 2014, 03:21:19 AM

I love EH too. I was just surprised by the build quality, that's all.
Sorry I missed your post, it wasn't in reply to it haha.

No the build can be shoddy, but it lasts... sometimes.

My favourite EHX repair was a DMM that came to me, traces cut for no reason, parts pulled, all wiring (including the transformer gone) I honestly felt like Dr Frankenstein when I got it back running.
Works at Lectric-FX

lincolnic

Quote from: Scruffie on September 22, 2014, 03:32:21 AM
My favourite EHX repair was a DMM that came to me, traces cut for no reason, parts pulled, all wiring (including the transformer gone) I honestly felt like Dr Frankenstein when I got it back running.

I think it only counts as a Frankenstein act if you pulled the repair parts out of dead pedals.  ;D