News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

CSOD premature OD-ing

Started by jessenator, June 08, 2023, 05:04:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jessenator

So I have a friend's 2011 Cherrybomb and having never used one until recently, I'm pretty smitten. Has great tone.

And having had that finished one, I wanted to tinker, so I went to the breadboard with the 2015 build guide's schematic. Had it working perfectly on the first go, populated with some un-special film and electro caps, and topped with three mid-300s 2n3565s (as was suggested as nice alternatives to the BC series in the 2012 documentation). From super clean to wonderful overdrive sweeping the GAIN pot.

I left space to try something rather noobish: plugging in a second gain stage in series.

After doing that and absolutely hating the poopy results, I pulled everything from the second gain stage and now it has some OD buzziness even with the C1k pot full CCW and wondering if I've borked something.

I've rebuilt the first gain stage a few times, and no change. Replaced the electros. Even replaced all the transistors. the C1k pot still turns the full gamut from 4R to 9.87k.

So I'm stumped as to what's causing this. If anyone's got some pointers I'm open to trying. Thanks.