Started by Beedoola, May 09, 2013, 07:04:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtn191

culturejam

Quote from: jtn191 on May 30, 2013, 12:52:47 AM
It'd be fun to make a real spring reverb

http://www.tapeop.com/tutorials/49/spring-reverb/

I wanna make a "real" tape delay. That ought to be wicked complicated.  :D

I saw a few old units that used blank 8-track tapes as the recording/playback medium. Maybe an old but working 8-track machine might be a good starting point. Hmmmmm.....
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Parra

"I wanna make a "real" tape delay. That ought to be wicked complicated.  :D"

This! i've got it in my mind since i started building pedals, if some day anyone wanna tackle this i would love to share the little knowledge i've got in the field.  ::)

lincolnic

Quote from: culturejam on May 30, 2013, 01:01:16 AM

I saw a few old units that used blank 8-track tapes as the recording/playback medium. Maybe an old but working 8-track machine might be a good starting point. Hmmmmm.....

Potential derail: I can't remember which thread exactly, but somewhere on the BYOC forums I saw a project that lets you use a 3-head cassette deck as a tape delay, with a pedal to control the settings...I want to say it was a Craig Anderton project, but it's not in Electronics Projects for Musicians. I thought I had the info saved on my hard drive, but I can't find it now.

juansolo

Quote from: jimilee on May 29, 2013, 07:46:59 PM
You look a lot younger in the video man!

...a lot thinner also ;)

Needless to say, that isn't me :p
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

alanp

... sorry, but I've got to know. Is your avatar picture you?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

juansolo

Yup  ;D

That used to be my driving hat...
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

drezdn

Quote from: lincolnic on May 30, 2013, 04:32:53 AM
Quote from: culturejam on May 30, 2013, 01:01:16 AM

Potential derail: I can't remember which thread exactly, but somewhere on the BYOC forums I saw a project that lets you use a 3-head cassette deck as a tape delay, with a pedal to control the settings...I want to say it was a Craig Anderton project, but it's not in Electronics Projects for Musicians. I thought I had the info saved on my hard drive, but I can't find it now.

IIRC, it's in Anderton's "Guitar Player Presents Do-It-Yourself Projects for Guitarists"

Cortexturizer

Quote from: juansolo on May 30, 2013, 02:16:19 PM
Yup  ;D

That used to be my driving hat...
haha that's awesome :D
that made me wonder, is there a thread to show our faces, I'd like to know how you guys look :D
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

spaceboss

Quote from: Cortexturizer on May 31, 2013, 02:40:39 PM
Quote from: juansolo on May 30, 2013, 02:16:19 PM
Yup  ;D

haha that's awesome :D
that made me wonder, is there a thread to show our faces, I'd like to know how you guys look :D

I look just like my avatar.  8)

alanp

I am my avatar. (It was a fancy dress party, being a cheapskate I just put my cap on, bought some Space Man lollies, and pretended to be Andy Capp. It made for a great excuse to drink beer all night long.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

lincolnic

Quote from: drezdn on May 31, 2013, 02:06:49 PM
IIRC, it's in Anderton's "Guitar Player Presents Do-It-Yourself Projects for Guitarists"

That's very similar, but not the project I'm thinking of - this one was specifically designed for a three-head cassette deck, and I think there was an etchable PCB image. The pedal you built had all your normal delay controls on it, with what was basically an effects loop that the cassette deck was inserted into. When I get the chance I'll dig a bit deeper into this.

Beedoola

Quote from: BraindeadAudio on May 29, 2013, 02:07:13 AM
I did a few tweaks to a rub a dub and got it sounding pretty close to my V4s reverb, and its got a bit of a volume boost now too, maybe 10db.

could you share info on the mods? thank you.

gordo

Interestingly enough I don't show up on film...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?