News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sunking v3 w. OPA2132P?

Started by Natman, May 14, 2014, 03:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Natman

Hey all, I picked up the Sunking project I've had on the shelf and got to thinking about changing the TL072s. Has anybody gone this route?
I've had generally great experiences with Burr Brown chips and wonder if one can improve on the Klon?

Thanks     

midwayfair

What are you trying to achieve with the op amp change? There's nothing wrong with the TL072 chip.

However, buy a couple and try it. As long as the chip you're using has a FET input, it should work fine. Just avoid BJT-input chips.

Natman

Hey Jon, I just did a bunch of chip swapping a few years ago in my Barber Direct Drive and Hermida Grinder. I found that the TL072 was one of the worst sounding and I have seen it in numerous other pedals. It strikes me as a cheapie, plain vanilla option. 

On the other hand, the best buffer I EVER heard was in a Barge VFB-2 and that used an OPA2134. When I tried to get some, all I could find was 2132P so I tried it in my pedals. It had more clarity, headroom and detail but not Hi-Fi sounding. I kept them in for good.   

That experience stuck in my mind and I got to wondering how it would sound in my (yet to be completed) Sunking. When I owned 2 Klons, I much preferred the clean boost properties to its breakup. I haven't found much here from searching the topic so I thought it warranted its own thread.