News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Shoot The Moon - I Could Use A Little LED Illuminaton

Started by frankie5fingers, September 26, 2012, 09:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankie5fingers

Hello All.  The STM is my first project with LEDs inside and without a build doc I'm not exactly sure what's what.  I was going to use 3mm red ones.  Is it just as simple as putting them in their respective pads and be done with it?  I've read about some projects needing to cover all or part of them, or position them in a certain way, etc.  I presume I still need a CLR, right?  I typically use a 2K2; is that the way to go?  Finally, the LFO.  Do I need to do anything special with that?
Thanks, Frank

GermanCdn

I built the STM without enclosing the LDR and the LED and it worked just fine.  I went with a 5mm water clear ultrabright and the LDR that Tayda sells.  For testing it before it's boxed up you'll need to isolate it, just stick inside a small cardboard box with the wires sticking out, works just fine.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

GrindCustoms

The second LED pads on the STM are not for «bypass status» of the effect, that other LED have is a visual reference for the speed and shape control.

You will need to hookup an independant LED to your 3PDT.

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

frankie5fingers

OK, so if I got it right;
1)  I don't need to enclose LED 2, but I can if I want to (obviously I'll need to in the test box).
2)  The LFO doesn't need any special treatment or orientation, and LED 2 (internal) doesn't need to face it or anything.
3)  I'll need a 3rd LED to provide a bypass indicator.

Soooo, one final question.  Do LEDs 1 (pulse indicator) and 2 (internal) need CLRs like I'd normally use on a bypass indicator LED?  If so, is there a preferred vague for them?
Thanks, Frank

GermanCdn

No, you don't need CLRs on LEDs 1 and 2, they're built into the pcb.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

culturejam

Why don't you have a look at the build document?

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=37216

D2 is actually the LED that drives the LDR. D1 is the speed/depth visual indicator, and can be mounted on the enclosure. Or you can leave it out if you don't want an indicator for the LFO. Or you can wire it up to by both the bypass indicator and LFO speed indicator.

I describe the latter in this thread:
http://www.buildyourownclone.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=40303
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

frankie5fingers

I figured I'd mount #1 on the box, I just wasn't sure about the CLRs for 1 and 2 and whether or not they needed any special treatment.
Anyhow, I guess I'm good.  Thanks for the links!
And as always, thanks much for the help!!

Frank

culturejam

Quote from: frankie5fingers on September 27, 2012, 01:19:45 AM
I just wasn't sure about the CLRs for 1 and 2 and whether or not they needed any special treatment.

On the schematic, R6/R7 and R9/R10 serve the function as CLRs, as well as helping to control the light/dark cycle fo the LEDs. For D2, the Depth control is essentially a variable CLR. The more current flowing to D2, the more extreme the light/dark difference is, which is what makes the tremolo effect sound more pronounced.

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

frankie5fingers

Understood and thanks, CJ
    ... and thanks Rej and GermanCdn for the help!!