News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Current Zappar and Faulty Gears (dedicated to El Danko!)

Started by TNblueshawk, June 18, 2012, 02:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNblueshawk

Got a couple new ones. First up is the Current Lover my favorite flanger in the whole wide world. If anyone read my CL troubleshoot you will know that this thing knocked my confidence down a notch or two and but for the help of a couple of mods at BYOC this think might be sitting in a "box of fail' of some kind. I don't actually have one, but I was about to start one with this.

Next up is the Faultline. Fired right up so I felt better about myself. This thing sounds like a beast. My wife was painting in the front yard and said people were walking by just looking at our house. Guess I had it up a little loud...hee...hee.....

Why am I running it at 18v? I have no idea  :P I guess because Bean said I could in the build docs  ::)

Never built one on a lid before. Sort of a PITA to gauge the wire length for need of pulling it out.

And the Barbie pink came out real nice. I have no issues with my manhood.

John

midwayfair

TNblueshawk

Thanks Jon.

I just pulled it off Google Images. I had to "clone stamp out" the Cream Disreali Gears written across the middle of it. You can see where some of the colors and artwork don't quite match. But, unless you know..you don't know so I went with it!
John

madbean

These look terrific! And good on you for sticking with it to solve the problems with the CL. Don't sweat it too much. I question my abilities every day...sometimes I know more than I think but I tend to assume I know a lot less than I should. Frustration can really damper your spirits when you know something should work, but cannot figure out why it does not!

BTW: what's with the little paint markings on your transistors in the Faultline? That's pretty curious.

TNblueshawk

Quote from: madbean on June 18, 2012, 02:39:45 PM
These look terrific! And good on you for sticking with it to solve the problems with the CL. Don't sweat it too much. I question my abilities every day...sometimes I know more than I think but I tend to assume I know a lot less than I should. Frustration can really damper your spirits when you know something should work, but cannot figure out why it does not!

BTW: what's with the little paint markings on your transistors in the Faultline? That's pretty curious.

Thanks Brian. Man, I have no idea where those came from or why !  Probably about a year or so ago I really began stocking up on parts and those came from an order from who knows where. All the others I've ordered have never had that again.

Be happy to take a close up shot for science if you want me to tonight? Maybe someone here knows the source or why.

John

Haberdasher

these look great, John!

I bought 4 2n5457's from sb a long time ago that had those markings on them.  Whenever it was that first built my jfet tester I plugged those in and noticed they were pretty closely matched.  It could have just been a coincidence but at the time I suspected that the colored stripes indicated some sort of matching that had been done.  Funny coincidence, I just used 2 of those jfets yesterday in my lowrider so this was like deja vu.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

TNblueshawk

Quote from: Haberdasher on June 18, 2012, 03:08:35 PM
these look great, John!

I bought 4 2n5457's from sb a long time ago that had those markings on them.  Whenever it was that first built my jfet tester I plugged those in and noticed they were pretty closely matched.  It could have just been a coincidence but at the time I suspected that the colored stripes indicated some sort of matching that had been done.  Funny coincidence, I just used 2 of those jfets yesterday in my lowrider so this was like deja vu.

Thank you sir  :) You know what, I'll bet SB was it. When I first started I wasn't about to try the Mouser website, Mammoth didn't exist, I was not aware of Tayda etc....
John

timbo_93631

I have a bunch of transistors from the late 70's through mid 80's that were in some stackable parts bins with 36 drawers each that my Dad gave me, all full of components of that vintage.  From what I have seen those are Motorola transistors, sometimes the faces are painted blue and they have the paint stripes on the back.  Maybe a form of house numbering to make assembly of a PCB easier back in the day?
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

pryde

Great job on all these builds for sure. I am diggin the Zappa graphic.

nzCdog

Outstanding graphics... :o :o

Quote from: TNblueshawk on June 18, 2012, 02:24:50 PM
... knocked my confidence down a notch or two and but for the help of a couple of mods at BYOC this think might be sitting in a "box of fail' of some kind. I don't actually have one, but I was about to start one with this.

These pedals = Box of awesome!
Man, I can definitely relate to the absolute soul-destruction of a troublesome circuit... game over... you win!

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

TNblueshawk

John