News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Low Rider & Amp switch

Started by midwayfair, June 21, 2012, 02:31:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

I wish I could say I got the broken one working, but after a full evening of troubleshooting with a working version right next to the broken one, I still couldn't find the source of the voltage problems. So I boxed up the new board instead, lest I damage something by poking it too much.

Built completely stock except for 2N5457s in place of the 2SK30s. I had previously tried Brian's mods for a more prominent upper octave, but I still had so much of the fundamental in there, and it became so fuzzy, that it just didn't do it for me. The upper knob is already louder than everything else even on the stock build.

The name is just me goofing off (you can read it as the "amazing half octagon" or "the half amazing octagon"). The enclosure is supposed to look like a circus poster, but instead I think it looks like something out of Dr. Seuss. (I'm okay with this.)

I spent an hour making atari noises. Loads of fun with a fuzz in front. Looks like my synth board is back on the books, though this might actually end up on tour with some friends.

Just a replacement switch for my amp, part of my continuing quest to never use a larger enclosure than is necessary. (Shown here with the original right next to it.) No guts because there's nothing to show really - it's just a TRS jeck and two SPST foot switches.

Hilariously, it didn't work the first time I wired it up. I was really scratching my head (like, "Really?), especially when the multimeter told me that somehow neither switch was working. Then I realized that I must have used momentaries.

Thus concluded my weekly (hourly) lesson in humility!

I've got a bunch of modded madbean mini builds almost ready, should be able to box them up by the weekend if I can think of names and artwork for them. One of them is this:

Please tell me I'm not the only geek here who gets this joke ...

lincolnic

Quote from: midwayfair on June 21, 2012, 02:31:46 AM
Please tell me I'm not the only geek here who gets this joke ...

You're not! Nice builds.

nzCdog

Oh well done mate... glad you got one working, and it looks superb! :D

njkke

raulduke

Cool build mate.

The lowrider reminds me of the Dr Scientist pedals.

stecykmi

you've been really churning them out recently brother! i can't help but notice the increasing complexity of your builds, nice work.

midwayfair

Thanks, guys. You're all too kind. :)

The Low Rider actually taught me a lot, so the $20 I spent on the board and components is okay when I consider it the cost of education. I finally understand enough of ICs to consider really poking around inside and experimenting. I've started breadboarding something fun to go along with my diode addiction.