News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

consigning locally

Started by jessenator, November 27, 2023, 05:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jessenator

So I've gotten to the point where I need to liquidate a few of the pedals I've done over the last couple of years. I suppose that this is a touchy subject and what I'm really looking for is not a way to inside trade to compete, so to speak, but more just if anyone has had luck or any pointers for a first-timer to consign to a local music shop, or other best way.

I'd post them here or pedalpcb forum, but we're all DIYers, and I figure if there's something we want, we build it :P

anyhow, some suggestions would be appreciated; whether that's ad listing language do's and don't's, or whatever.

jimilee

You might try here and maybe Craig's list. Stuff gets posted here from time to time. If there are any local music shops, I'm sure they'd help with a cut of the action. It would favor them, unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Bio77

I've had the best luck with word of mouth or through instagram.  Not sure if you have an IG account for your builds.  It's a pain, but that's where you find people.  Some reverb or craigslist listings could work too.  List them as hand wired and highlight the high end parts.

Selling is kind of a pain, in general, you are kind of obligated to fix things if they break down.  Also, it's a drag having people kick the tires on things you put so much into.  If you just want to clear shelf space, I've always had a better experience just giving them to friends.  Last year I needed funds for a synth and I sold pedals.  Shut down that as soon as I got the money I was after because of the afore mentioned PITA. 

madbean

You are most welcome to post for sale here. FB Marketplace can sometimes work out. TGP By/Sell/Trade also, but I think you have to be a supporting member for access.

jessenator

Quote from: madbean on November 28, 2023, 01:03:35 AM
You are most welcome to post for sale here. FB Marketplace can sometimes work out. TGP By/Sell/Trade also, but I think you have to be a supporting member for access.
Thanks, Brian! I might simul-post and make sure people know what's up.

Quote from: Bio77 on November 27, 2023, 09:31:42 PM
I've had the best luck with word of mouth or through instagram.  Not sure if you have an IG account for your builds.  It's a pain, but that's where you find people.  Some reverb or craigslist listings could work too.  List them as hand wired and highlight the high end parts.

Selling is kind of a pain, in general, you are kind of obligated to fix things if they break down.  Also, it's a drag having people kick the tires on things you put so much into.  If you just want to clear shelf space, I've always had a better experience just giving them to friends.  Last year I needed funds for a synth and I sold pedals.  Shut down that as soon as I got the money I was after because of the afore mentioned PITA. 
Gotcha. I was afraid I'd have to jump back into mainstream social media again ;D  Maybe in the near future. Seems like it's a necessary evil.

I've definitely given some of the minimally-decorated ones away, and a couple of nice ones. I was always bad about selling to friends, so with these few I'm hoping to recoup mainly costs if I can.

Quote from: jimilee on November 27, 2023, 09:08:29 PM
You might try here and maybe Craig's list. Stuff gets posted here from time to time. If there are any local music shops, I'm sure they'd help with a cut of the action. It would favor them, unfortunately.
Yeah, I wondered about the size of cut they'd take... might go in saying, "I need to make this much" but who knows if that will go down well. I have an acquaintance at a local shop, now I think about it. I might hit him up and see how he feels about it. I did wow a GC manager with my DttK pedal, but I didn't talk turkey. Doubtful I'd get a fair shake with GC.

GrindCustoms

I've had good luck having pedals in consignment in music stores in my area, i was keeping and average of 5 to 10 pedals per store, was dealing with 3 different stores spread into the cities around me.

The deal i had with all of them was a 20% share for them. I would always make sure to have commonly wanted models available like Klones, modded TS and throw some oddities in there as well. If something wasn't moving for couple months i would pull them out and refresh the available inventory with other oddballs or popular circuits but in a different/less generic enclosure design and made sure that they notify me at each end of month on the sales volume to ensure that i was keeping my shelf space packed.

People wouldn't always necessarily buy what was available in store but it give them the opportunity to have a physical interaction and get a proper feel of the product and craftmanship. In many cases they would then contact me to for a custom commissioned build.

Internet is fantastic to spread out the word but there's nothing in my opinion that can replace the physical interaction. I'm not aware of the state of music stores in your area but i would certainly capitalize on that aspect. I might be completely out of touch with the current market but i still every now and then go into music store to lurk and try out stuff.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/