News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Proper tools for tightening nuts

Started by rullywowr, February 17, 2014, 08:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gledison

Quote from: rullywowr on February 17, 2014, 08:47:55 PM
When I first started, I would often use pliers to tighten pot nuts, 3pdt nuts, switch nuts, etc...(I'm sure we have all been there at some point).  Of course, this is prone to marring your finish, slipping off the nut, and leaving scratch marks.

I then started to use my tools from the garage but it was always a pain sharing between the two and keeping track of where my sockets and ratchet were..

I contemplated getting a deep well nutdriver set but they are usually pricey, plus I don't need a whole set..just 4 common sizes.  Combination wrenches would work too, but are not as fast as a screwdriver handle.

A few months ago, I found the perfect affordable solution.  I went to my local cheap Chinese tool store (Harbor Freight Tools) and got a color coded deep well socket set (mm) like this (about $10USD):

Paired with a 1/4" screwdriver-handled driver like this (about $5usd) ...they make a beautiful team.  Mine is similar (not telescoping) but you get the idea.

I keep 4 of these color coded sockets and the handle close by on my bench (which fit 16mm pots, 1/4" jacks, 3PDT, and toggles) and its super easy to remove/tighten any pedal hardware.  The color coded sockets are sweet because its easy to know that green=pots and so forth.  I wish I did this a couple years ago but I figured I would share with you, in case you don't have a dedicated set.  :)

I'm curious for those who already have a dedicated set of tools, are you using the same?  What is your tool of choice?
Hey mate,
this tools are quite nice for the price. ITs possible to find online?
cheers
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

Clayford

head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

muddyfox

Since Gledison is a fellow Yurpean, I'm guessing HF is rather unreachable for him. I found a few ebay sellers but shipping is outrageous (or not really, given that this is ten pieces of steel after all).

Gledison

Quote from: muddyfox on February 21, 2014, 01:14:45 PM
Since Gledison is a fellow Yurpean, I'm guessing HF is rather unreachable for him. I found a few ebay sellers but shipping is outrageous (or not really, given that this is ten pieces of steel after all).
Yeah! Its quite tough ti find good deals here! Somehow the world thinks that in europe we have lots of money! Unfortunately not true! 
I think USA is the land of the DIY'ers!

muddyfox

Well it certainly is a land of cornucopiae, everything under the sun available a phonecall away, mostly with free shipping to boot. :-)
I'm sure they have their problems too, though...

sent from my mobile device

mandrewbot3k

I'm only making pedals for myself, so i dont worry too much about scratching it. They are gonna get banged up pretty good by me anyways.

I just use wrenches. The toughest part of it for me is holding the switches, jacks, pots etc on the other side while tightening them.
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

davent

Quote from: mandrewbot3k on February 21, 2014, 08:54:10 PM
I'm only making pedals for myself, so i dont worry too much about scratching it. They are gonna get banged up pretty good by me anyways.

I just use wrenches. The toughest part of it for me is holding the switches, jacks, pots etc on the other side while tightening them.

An inner-toothed (star) lockwasher (on the inside of the enclosure) goes a long ways in helping to ease the tightening-spin.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Gledison

Quote from: peterc on February 22, 2014, 06:47:01 AM
Gledison

How bout these?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Draper-22164-10pc-Set-Of-1-4-Sq-Dr-6-Point-Deep-Metric-Sockets-/261389834224?pt=DE_Haus_Garten_Heimwerker_Handwerkzeug&hash=item3cdc0c57f0

Peter
Hey Peter, it seems nice, unfortunatly there is no zoom of the sockets. Do you have those? im just wondering if they are long enough to be able to tight the pots...
thanks mate!

Clayford

muddyfox

That's what she said...

Sorry, couldn't help it!  ;D
But back on topic, there is zoom on that picture (you have to click it) and it seems to me it's a regular shallow socket, just color anodized.

Clayford

They are shallow sockets which is why I said that. And I left it cause I knew someone would go there, and that one else before hand has on a thread about tightening nuts...

pryde

Quote from: muddyfox on February 21, 2014, 07:57:53 PM
Well it certainly is a land of cornucopiae, everything under the sun available a phonecall away, mostly with free shipping to boot. :-)
I'm sure they have their problems too, though...

sent from my mobile device

Madbean's server would crash if I posted up a list of all the things bad about America  8)

She is FAR from perfect, but I do love her nonetheless.

peterc

Ok, I see the issue. Oddly enough, I have a set of "normal" profile sockets that work fine for pots and such.
Affiliation: bizzaraudio.com

ian_guga

got this kit at the local cheap store.
good part - cost e7
bad - won't do long shaft pots.
my lab loves fuzz