News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Autodesk buys Eaglecad?

Started by electrosonic, June 28, 2016, 05:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

electrosonic

There was a posting on the EEVblog about Autodesk buying Eagle

http://www.stockmarketwire.com/article/5367432/Premier-Farnell-sells-Cadsoft-business.html

This could have implications for the Eagle users here...

Andrew

madbean

Oh god...no please. Not Autodesk. Anything but that!

GermanCdn

Yup.  That sucks.  Autodesk - giving you features you don't need or want for a 3X price increase since 199something.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

sturgeo

I've got to say my initial reaction was that its a good thing, Autodesk make one of the best products for machinists. Fusion 360 is brilliant CAD/CAM all in one package & free for hobbyists and businesses turning over less than 100K. Hopefully they can do something like that with Eagle and remove the 100 x 80 size limit and if needs be put a pin limit in like Diptrace. I'm having to learn a 2nd package purely to make some programmable Looper boards and even now they're finished i don't feel 100% with them as its a completely different process.

rullywowr

Maybe it's a good thing.  Perhaps they will implement groundbreaking new features such as "CTRL + C" for copy and "CTRL + V" for paste.   :o

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

culturejam

I actually like AutoDesk's TinkerCAD, which is an online 3D CAD program for the CAD challenged like me. I use it to make rudimentary models for 3D printing.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

gordo

I use ACAD regularly and love it.  That said I think the freebie days of Eagle may be numbered....  This may be the time for me to lean back in on DEX or DipTrace.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

EBRAddict

That sucks but explains their 50% off sale a month or so ago.

Without the free version I think adoption will dry up. Without the community support and libraries it's not as if Eagle does anything remarkably well. Well, maybe the autorouter. Snort.

madbean

Quote from: sturgeo on June 28, 2016, 06:09:33 PM
I've got to say my initial reaction was that its a good thing, Autodesk make one of the best products for machinists. Fusion 360 is brilliant CAD/CAM all in one package & free for hobbyists and businesses turning over less than 100K. Hopefully they can do something like that with Eagle and remove the 100 x 80 size limit and if needs be put a pin limit in like Diptrace. I'm having to learn a 2nd package purely to make some programmable Looper boards and even now they're finished i don't feel 100% with them as its a completely different process.

They also have a history of killing off great products, too (Softimage). Plus, if Eagle goes the yearly licensing or maintenance route that is pretty much the end of it for DIY guys.

culturejam

I assume Eagle isn't the only application that checks consistency between the schematic and board, right? That's the main reason I started using it.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

HamSandwich

Quote from: culturejam on June 28, 2016, 11:54:55 PM
I assume Eagle isn't the only application that checks consistency between the schematic and board, right? That's the main reason I started using it.

I don't recall express PCB doing it. I hope this ends up going well, but I could easily see it going south quickly.

alanp

Quote from: sturgeo on June 28, 2016, 06:09:33 PM
Hopefully they can do something like that with Eagle and remove the 100 x 80 size limit and if needs be put a pin limit in like Diptrace. I'm having to learn a 2nd package purely to make some programmable Looper boards and even now they're finished i don't feel 100% with them as its a completely different process.

I'd honestly rather that they keep the board size, and unlimited pins. If you're in it as a hobbyist, not for commercial, the $169 licence is VERY worthwhile, and the 160x100 board size opens a LOT of options.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

sturgeo

Well the Autodesk version is now live, offering free & 2 subscription models, interestingly the board size limitation is now on cm2 so I'm hoping I can create a board wide enough for my looper in eagle as I don't feel entirely confident with my Diptrace skills.
I've signed up for a month so we'll see soon!

Edit: Yup can now create boards outside of the old 100x80 limitation. I imagine the free version which limits boards to 80cm2 is the same.

madbean

Autorouter is now included in the standard edition it seems. And importing circuit blocks is a great feature. But, there doesn't seem to be any information on current Eagle 7 license holders. Sure would be nice to have my current license carry over for a year subscription. Anyway, $100 / year is totally reasonable, IMO. Can't see doing $500 for the premium version, though.

jkokura

I'm still running 6.5... Think it's worth it for me to update?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals