News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cannibal Comps compressor (non MBP)

Started by CarpathiART, July 06, 2016, 06:59:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarpathiART

Haven´t built any pedals in a while now. Spent the last two years building a electric drum kit for a friend. But now I started to get back into the game with a fairly easy one to kick off. I really needed a compressor for my bass since my recently used compressor was a bit too big for the board.

I found this little circuit of the Toadworks Mr. Squishy so I modded it a bit and got it working right off the bat. It´s a little noisy but nothing I couldn´t deal with. I will post images of the innards later today. I hand painted the enclosure. I´ve been into Cannibal Corpse´s album, The Bleeding recently so I went with the theme on this thing :)

What I like about this circuit that it really gives that pop when playing with fingers or slapping. Based on the Orange Squeezer it doesn´t really bring anything new to the table but it really kicks ass!

K

Martan

Love the paint job! Its kind of ironic that this of all pedals doesn't have a gut shot :D

CarpathiART

Quote from: Martan on July 06, 2016, 10:45:55 AM
Love the paint job! Its kind of ironic that this of all pedals doesn't have a gut shot :D

That just cracked me up! :D I´m still pretty bad/impatient on designing the inner layouts for pedals but this time I think the outside will do the justice for the organs :)

neandrewthal

That is way too awesome. But give us a gut shot for Satan`s sake.

You think we`re afraid of drowning in viscera? We all want to see what lies under the rotted flesh.

Timko

Great artwork!  I wish I was talented enough with a paint brush to do something like this.

selfdestroyer

Great paint job for sure man!

I SUMMON THEE GUT SHOT!

(The ground gives way and a large picture of guts appear)
....thats how it works right?

Cody

GrindCustoms

Haha! Love the artwork, recalls Tomb of the Mutilated! Very well done! lml
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

CarpathiART

Here. I´m almost amazed how bad I am with taking photos. There are 24mm Alpha pots under there so I had to mask them with electrical tape to avoid any shorting since the PCB is laid on top of them and the fit is just barely with all the caps and trannies tilted.

But I guess the look of the inside goes with the theme. That´s my only excuse. F***ked with a soldering iron.

CarpathiART

Quote from: Timko on July 06, 2016, 02:01:17 PM
Great artwork!  I wish I was talented enough with a paint brush to do something like this.

What do you mean with paint brush? Full blown demented hands, arms, face and partially walls covered in splattered paint type a technique is the way to go here.  The texts are done by left hand with a piece of steel dipped in paint and scraped accross the tormented surface.

You can do it! The way Rob Schneider says it.

selfdestroyer

Guts look fine to me man.. be proud!

Cody

neandrewthal

Yeah. The only problem is I hate twisted pairs of wires. But thats my problem not yours. Maybe I need help.

This is what I imagine from your description of how it was painted, minus the brushes of course:

CarpathiART

Quote from: neandrewthal on July 07, 2016, 02:59:12 AM
This is what I imagine from your description of how it was painted, minus the brushes of course:

Pretty much. I work with acrylic paints so it´s pretty easy to clean up afterwards. But without a primer it´s a lost cause, the paint peels off really easy.

Looks like I´m off to play around with the 2N5457´s, I´m trying to get the noise floor lower. I understand compressors do what they do but the initial noise is pretty bad.

CarpathiART

I diagnosed the noise coming straight out from the power supply so I will go with the power pellet to reduce the annoying mains hum.