News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Thunderpuss - level?

Started by MattL, May 25, 2011, 07:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmufffuzzwizz

You can use it as a positive ground tester. Make sure you orient the polarity of the voltage correctly (the opposite of normal). It is a very handy test tool to have. I've recently been using it to fix broken pedals. I also use it as an audio probe!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

MattL

Wow, sorry to not acknowledge this sooner...where does the time go? Anyway, thanks for the reply. Does this mean I'd just reverse the board ground and 9v from their normal orientation (as in red to black and black to red as opposed to red to red and black to black)?

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: MattL on July 05, 2011, 04:11:21 PM
Does this mean I'd just reverse the board ground and 9v from their normal orientation (as in red to black and black to red as opposed to red to red and black to black)?

That is one way to do it. http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=89043.0
If you used a DC jack, you can use plug in the appropriate wall wart power supply (negative voltage, positive ground) without making any changes.
You could also build a MB Road Rage board and have seperate connections for +9V and -9V.
Like mentioned on the link, don't forget to flip the polarized components; transistors, diodes, electrolytic caps.  :)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

brainbender

I also have a problem with Thunderpuss. Everything is soldered as it should be. The PCB is clean and there's no short connections. It only "works" in bypass. What could be the problem? I used the BS170 and 2N5457. :-\

mgwhit

brainbender, (in the future) you may want to start a new thread for your question.  It's always best to start your own -- it reduces confusion and you'll probably get more attention that way.  While you're at it, please read the Rules For Getting Tech Help post.  You need to provide a lot more information (and preferably some photos) before anyone can reliably help you.

I'll start off by saying "only works in bypass" is the absolute most common problem repoprted on every stomp box forum.  Solutions range from cables plugged into wrong jacks (are you debugging it upside down?) to wiring issues to incorrect components to bad components, with the latter being te first thing most people want to blame but usually the least common real problem.  And don't assume everything is correct until you've been over with your board with a DMM and a signal probe.

I'm not sure if you can even use a 2n5457 in this circuit -- that's a JFET and this circuit uses a MOSFET.

One last question: does your LED light up appropriately?  Good luck!

brainbender

mgwhit:

I built over 40 pedals and this was really helpfull. Thanks. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Nevermind, i built the LPB-1...