News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Matched germanium transistor?

Started by JackSkellington, September 01, 2023, 09:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackSkellington

Hello guys,
I built just a Fuzz Factory using germanium transistors. A pair of AC128, hfe selected.
The germanium transistors we can find today are different model, and it's very hard to find the right hfe to build pedal Fuzz Face type.

I would like to buy from Europe some good germanium transistor. I used to buy from Banzai Music and Musikding.
Banzai has a good choice of germanium transistors, but not hfe selected, and I don't want to waste money to match maybe one couple.
Musikding has the hfe selection, but very short supply, more common hfe value are hard to find. Though, they has some kit with matched germanium transistor. But I prefer to buy transistors and the parts separately, and make the board by my own.

Where we can still to buy matched germanium transistor?
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

aion

I see them pretty often on eBay, though they come and go. Small Bear has some sets as well, but they're extremely expensive and international shipping is a lot.

However - for a Fuzz Factory in particular, I would really not be too concerned at all. It absolutely brutalizes the transistors in a way that makes the type & specs fairly unimportant. Selected sets are definitely worthwhile in a Fuzz Face or Tone Bender, but IMO not so much in a Fuzz Factory.

derevaun

I've read good things about (but have no direct experience with) this transistor set from JoeDocMusic: https://www.joedocmusic.com/product/pnp-germanium-transistor-set-5-pieces-for-classic-positive-ground-projects/

I'm not picky about transistor type, just gain and leakage, so I've grab a few on Ebay when sellers give the specs for individual transistors. Usually it comes out to US$ 5-8 per transistor.

JackSkellington

Quote from: aion on September 01, 2023, 01:57:46 PM
I see them pretty often on eBay, though they come and go. Small Bear has some sets as well, but they're extremely expensive and international shipping is a lot.

However - for a Fuzz Factory in particular, I would really not be too concerned at all. It absolutely brutalizes the transistors in a way that makes the type & specs fairly unimportant. Selected sets are definitely worthwhile in a Fuzz Face or Tone Bender, but IMO not so much in a Fuzz Factory.

I see some US shop, but could be expensive to buy there because the shipping, indeed. I'm in Europe.

About the Fuzz Factory, I had read probably some discussion about some guys used to test some pair of transistors before to choice the right ones. I have to say I just bought a pair with the most advised hfe. It sounds good.

Maybe I can't do anything except to buy kits (Fuzz Face, Tonebender...) with matched transistor included.
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»