News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

cascading MN3007

Started by artstomp, November 12, 2013, 05:40:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

artstomp

..hey guys...is it possible to cascade 4 x MN3007 ?...to equal the delay time of an MN3005 ?
...i know cascading 2 x MN3008 was done in projects like the dirtbag...
..tnx guys..just asking.... :D

Scruffie

It is... if you're nuts.

You'll need to bias 4 chips VERY well (and that's a lot harder than biasing 1, I wouldn't even bother to attempt it without a scope if you want usable delay) each should really have its own cancel trim, you'll want extra make up gain to keep a decent signal.

Plus you'll be wasting 4 good NOS BBDs and quite a bit of money and time.

Not sure about clock drive abilities too, that's a lot of chip capacitance, may need buffering or extra clocks.

One of the Maxon delays does this with 8 x 3207s...
Works at Lectric-FX

artstomp

..tnx Scruff...now i see why Maxon AD-900 Analog Delay has more than 8 trimmers...i'll just go buy 2 smallbear's MN3008 (fake MN3005)..to avoid going nuts...tnx again

Scruffie

Bad luck i'm afraid, smallbear is out of those, you'll have to use real 3008s or go to 3208s.
Works at Lectric-FX

artstomp

..aww...actually i have 1 real MN3008 and 1 BL3208...can it be cascaded?...i understand they have diff pin configurations...which clock is compatible for both?..tnx

Scruffie

That's making things complicated for your self really, sure it can be done but I wouldn't bother, plus you'd loose any 3008 headroom benefits.

Trade the 3008 for 3208s or sell the 3208 and buy a 3008 with some extra cash... you could use a 3008 and 3007, that's a bit more sensible than 8 x 3007s, you'd get maybe... 200mS of usable delay? Depending on the circuit.
Works at Lectric-FX

artstomp

..i'll take your advice..tnx a lot Scruffie..