News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Best DS-1 layout?

Started by aballen, November 09, 2014, 04:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aballen

I'm looking to build a DS-1.  I have the TA7136P and I want to build one with the keeled seeing eye and ultra mods.

Anyone know of a good layout with the TA7136 and Kelley mods?  I would like to avoid vero if at all possible.  I never really have much luck with vero.

Tonepad has a nice layout but without the keeley mods, so that is my fallback if I need it.

neve1272

im sorta been looking around for this as well

ive been bread boarding ic based distort/overdrives trying to get my head around them
Kip

playpunk

Aion has a cool new layout

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

slacker775

I've found it somewhat cheaper to just pick up 'broken' ones on eBay for around $20 and do the few mods to them.  PCB wise, I think Aions are the only ones I've really seen.  I guess with the original as cheap and readily available as it is, there isn't as much interest in making PCBs for the DS-1 as much as there is for the BMP and Klon and all those guys.

mremic01

Tonepad has one. I built it to Japanese-specs, but it was pretty disappointing. It had more body to it than the stock Taiwanese version, but still sounded like it couldn't decide whether it was a fuzz or distortion. Neither version sounded very good for either application. I think the Rat does the same thing, but actually sounds good.

brucer

I've been thinking of building a DS-1 too.  I had a K-modded Bo$$ and I quite liked it, probably should have kept it ... but sold it to buy other gear.  :(

I've been looking at Aion's PCB because I seem to be okay building on quality fabbed boards, but I damage Boss production boards when I try to mod them myself.   :-[

Quote from: mremic01 on November 09, 2014, 07:01:32 PM
Tonepad has one. I built it to Japanese-specs, but it was pretty disappointing. It had more body to it than the stock Taiwanese version, but still sounded like it couldn't decide whether it was a fuzz or distortion. Neither version sounded very good for either application. I think the Rat does the same thing, but actually sounds good.

I'm curious whether this comment is about the DS-1 itself (which I like, once it's modded) or about what it's like when you build a DS-1 clone.  I'd definitely appreciate feedback/comment before I pull the trigger on a PCB and parts.

Thanks!

aballen

So I've never had a DS1, do I need to do any mods if I'm building it to MIJ specs, or are the keeley mods just needed to fix the post 94 versions?

mremic01

Quote from: brucer on November 09, 2014, 08:48:54 PM
I've been thinking of building a DS-1 too.  I had a K-modded Bo$$ and I quite liked it, probably should have kept it ... but sold it to buy other gear.  :(

I've been looking at Aion's PCB because I seem to be okay building on quality fabbed boards, but I damage Boss production boards when I try to mod them myself.   :-[

Quote from: mremic01 on November 09, 2014, 07:01:32 PM

I'm curious whether this comment is about the DS-1 itself (which I like, once it's modded) or about what it's like when you build a DS-1 clone.  I'd definitely appreciate feedback/comment before I pull the trigger on a PCB and parts.

Thanks!

Well, I've owned two stock DS-1s and one I built to Japanese specs. I hated the first one. It was my first pedal and sounded even worse than my Fender Frontman's overdrive channel. I destroyed it attempting to do the Keeley mods with a Radio Shack iron and no experience. I bought the second one to compare with my Japanese spec build, and it was just as bad as I remember the first one being, even through much nicer amps. Can of bees tone. The J-spec build just sounds bigger. Like the tone has more breadth and body to it. But it still has that can of bees thing going. I'm sure other guys have been able to get good sounds with it, but I just decided to give up and move on to Rats for that kind of sound, but without being unpleasant.

As far as the PCB goes, I etched it from the Tonepad layout. It seemed like a good layout, with options for either version of the circuit.

mremic01

Quote from: aballen on November 10, 2014, 02:00:58 AM
So I've never had a DS1, do I need to do any mods if I'm building it to MIJ specs, or are the keeley mods just needed to fix the post 94 versions?

The Keeley mods are their own thing. They're popular because the stock circuit sounds pretty harsh. The MIJ version and MITaiwan versions use different op-amps that come in different packages, so they're not easily modded to either spec. At least not on the real thing. Some DIY layouts will allow for either op-amp.

You guys just gave me an idea- an op-amp switcher to see how much stock there is in the idea that the MIJ DS-1s are better. I'll have to add it to my list of things to build.

brucer

Quote from: mremic01 on November 09, 2014, 07:01:32 PMI destroyed it attempting to do the Keeley mods with a Radio Shack iron and no experience.

Hey!  I resemble that remark!  Except mine was a BD-2 ... I killed it.

I've got some Madbean builds working though!

mremic01

AntKnee

You can pick them up so cheap these days... BUT, I personally hate the buffer on there. No matter where I put it, I always lost volume or gain with it in my chain. If I could build one without that, I would be much happier with one. It's especially bad if you run a high output boost or klone.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

aballen

I picked up the board from aion,  thanks guys.  Also agreed that build doc linked above is amazing.