News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

D9E diodes in a sunking?

Started by aballen, November 17, 2014, 08:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aballen

Anyone try this?  I have a sunking on the bench, waiting for parts and I found some D9E diodes so I bought them too.

I figured I could replace the 1n34a diodes with D9E and I already put a pair of OA126 in for the clipping mod.... thinking it will sound sweet.

I'll have some spare D9E I would be willing to part with too... I'll post when I have them in hand.

oh... a thousand and one... post, post, post, post, post, post, post.... thats a lotta posts.

midwayfair

Damn it.

Before this causes ANOTHER dirt cheap diode to go extinct because some rumor gets started that it's the original klon diode (look how expensive OA126 got after someone misquoted me and they all got bought up!), it is absolutely 100% unequivocally impossible that it's the original klone diode. Keith never said it was the original diode. It's a cheap Russian diode, and it has a bright blue stripe on it regardless of when the Soviet Union manufactured the damn thing because Russia, despite its numerous flaws, had the good sense to use standardized coding on their parts, which doesn't look anything like the single-black-stripe diodes that are in the klone. And I'd appreciate it if you told whoever typed that it was the original diode exactly that so that I don't have to pay $10 each for a freaking generic germanium diode that I happen to like the color of.

(... Wait, what? You guys don't pick your diodes based on their aesthetics? Then what DO you use to decide?)

Now that I've got that out of my way ...

Keith said that he settled on the D9E because it sounded right compared to his particular unit. He's also said that they're using several different diodes in the silver pony kits, and almost all Russian germanium diode have similar forward voltages.

Anyway, the diodes I used in my first Apis are D9E. They sound pretty good, a bit more distortion at lower gain settings. And I really mean "a bit." You aren't likely to notice a difference between them and the 1n34A that a slight nudge of the gain and treble controls won't fix.

aballen

I did not misquote anyone... believe me, but I edited my post for you Jon.

I'm trying the OA126 cause some guy I kinda respect said "these are something special" on a thread somewhere.  The guy has an incredible ear.  Those are supposed to have a Vf of ~.65. 

These D9E are supposed to have a Vf in the .32-.34 range.  Most of the russians are close, the 1N270s are supposed to be in the .23-.24 range, which seems closer to the 1N34a.

Anyway, it was not my intent to drum up another myth about unicorn tears here... I'll PM you the url I was quoting, you can flame him too ;)

midwayfair

Quote from: aballen on November 17, 2014, 10:07:40 PM
I did not misquote anyone... believe me, but I edited my post for you Jon.

I'm trying the OA126 cause some guy I kinda respect said "these are something special" on a thread somewhere.  The guy has an incredible ear.  Those are supposed to have a Vf of ~.65. 

These D9E are supposed to have a Vf in the .32-.34 range.  Most of the russians are close, the 1N270s are supposed to be in the .23-.24 range, which seems closer to the 1N34a.

Anyway, it was not my intent to drum up another myth about unicorn tears here... I'll PM you the url I was quoting, you can flame him too ;)

lol this is what happens when I post last thing before leaving work for the day. ;)

aballen

No problem Jon, thanks for keeping me honest.

mremic01

Quote from: midwayfair on November 17, 2014, 09:34:33 PM
(look how expensive OA126 got after someone misquoted me and they all got bought up!)

Sorry, was that me? I quoted one of your posts about OA126's, but it was meant more as an interesting aside than as a 'this is the actual part'.

Who is Stephen? Do you guys mean BYOC/Keith? Keith raised the possibility that D9Es might be what Bill uses, and that took off despite that it can't possibly be true.

midwayfair

Quote from: mremic01 on November 18, 2014, 12:00:18 AM
(look how expensive OA126 got after someone misquoted me and they all got bought up!)

Sorry, was that me? I quoted one of your posts about OA126's, but it was meant more as an interesting aside than as a 'this is the actual part'.

Who is Stephen? Do you guys mean BYOC/Keith? Keith raised the possibility that D9Es might be what Bill uses, and that took off despite that it can't possibly be true.

It was Keith, not Stephen.

And the guy you quoted isn't the only one I've seen that from.

RobA

and almost all Russian germanium diode have similar forward voltages.
Quote from: aballen on November 17, 2014, 10:07:40 PM
These two quotes together have me intrigued. I've got a set of D9B's and the forward voltages on them that I measure are all in the 0.225 - 0.245 range. I've been wondering about buying another bag of a different D9x set, but I couldn't find a doc that covered the specs for the various CCCP diodes. So, I held off, but now I'm wondering again if I should get some and if so, which.

I promise not to use any information obtained here in the furthering of Klon mythology -- I haven't built one and have no intention to do so at this time ;).
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

aballen

Honestly I'm not even sure I'll hear the difference, but I've always wanted to experiment with clippers.  Up till now I've just taken others recommendations.  Totally credible people, I'm just curious if my ear can hear the difference and if so will I have the same preference.  It's one thing to read how they are different a totally different thing to hear it.