News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

First build!

Started by KingDaddy, June 07, 2017, 08:06:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KingDaddy

Hello, I'm brand new around here and I just thought I'd share my first build I did a couple of weeks back with you geniuses. I'm guessing most of you don't need to be told but it is a very simple Bazz Fuzz built from a kit... I call her Dave.

I know I went overboard with the sockets but this was my first (I'm on to my 4th now) and I was being needlessly overcautious about frying things (even the caps!?!), I'm also cringing at the length of some of those wires but hey we live and learn right!? The soldering is a bit meh and I was having real trouble getting the wires on the jacks but this was my first time ever with a soldering iron on a pcb and I was pretty pleased with the results.

I let my daughter loose on it for the "graphics" which was painful at first but now I'm actually digging it.

I've got to say that the moment that led came on was just one of the best feelings, this pedal building thing is awesome!

mjg

Nice job for your first build.  I think the graphics are awesome, so well done to your daughter as well.  :D

Matt

Looks good
Congrats on your first build!
Matt

mjg

Hmm, I think this thread has reached its quota of Matts now.   ;D

mrclean77

It always feels good when they work!  ;D Jacks are still hard for me because making the mechanical connection is different than any other part of the build. You'll figure out shortening the lead lengths, but that's far from a box of spaghetti, IMO - especially for a first build. The graphics are awesome and I love that the LED is highlighted like it is - another example of kiddos paying more attention than we sometimes give em credit for doing.

stringsthings

That's a very nice build!  Graphics are excellent and your wiring is pretty good, IMO.
( ... and realistically, not too many people are going to see the insides of your pedals )

I was also overly cautious when I started soldering.  A bit of caution is not a bad thing.
Caps and resistors are pretty forgiving when it comes to soldering heat.   On the other hand,
I learned early on to always use sockets for IC's.   Fried an expensive IC by not knowing better a long time ago.

Welcome to the pedal DIY world!
All You Need Is Love

Willybomb

I like that you've socketed the i/o/g/9v on the pcb and used socket pins to link those together.  That's not a bad idea.

storyboardist

Nice first build. And a good use of child labor  ;) ;D
Guy behind Effects Layouts

mattc

Quote from: mjg on June 07, 2017, 09:52:49 AM
Hmm, I think this thread has reached its quota of Matts now.   ;D

How about one more for good measure?

Nice job Matt.

KingDaddy

Thanks for all the comments Matts.... and the other guys as well  ;)

I was a bit worried after I posted that because I spent a while going through all the other builds on here and got totally blown away by them, there really are some amazingly talented guys round this place.

jimilee

I will echo, I love the socket for your socketed wires, imma have to use this idea. Tell me, are you a fellow bass player?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

wgc

cool build, love the graphics esp.

- not matt
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

KingDaddy

Quote from: jimilee on June 07, 2017, 03:09:14 PM
I will echo, I love the socket for your socketed wires, imma have to use this idea. Tell me, are you a fellow bass player?

I dabble with the old bass but rockin' lead is where i'm most at home

Boba7

Very cute!! Congrats on this really cool first build.

BrianS

Nice job. You can never be to cautious LOL.  I am going to try the socket idea on nonboard mounted pots and see how that goes.  I hate soldering the wires to the board because sometimes there is just not much room.  And I will add on with the others the graphics are cool.