News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

RangeMaster 2020 - issue with power supply

Started by half_smith, August 15, 2023, 08:32:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

half_smith

I built the madbean TrebleBooster Rangemaster2020, it's awesome, but does not play well with my board power supply, I've had to use a dedicated One Spot.

symptoms:
When I give it an "isolated" (I know probably not truly isolated $75 pedal power supply) from my board power box it HISSES like crazy.
-this does not occur when using a One Spot, but I'd like to know what's causing this and possibly think of a remedy.

Also, sometimes there's a power up delay, sometimes kind of struggles to get up to full power,
and if I unplug it it whines like a failing hyperdrive.
I know charge-pumps are problematic but I've never had such a "tube warming up" amount of time for a pedal to come to life.
-is this maybe indicative of a problem with the Max1044 or 47uf cap?

madbean

I think you already answered your first question. Your power supply does not have isolated outputs which is likely the source of noise.

For the second question, I'm not sure I follow. If there is a delay in powering up - how long is it? Is the whine from unplugging the DC while the effect is on? The second part is normal. Just about every effect is going to make noise if you add or remove power with the audio live.

half_smith

I don't know how to explain the second problem very well. It's an intermittent issue that sometimes the pedal doesn't output full power, and I try unplugging it or switching on and off a few times and eventually whatever it is clears up and it works fine from then on.

madbean

Quote from: half_smith on August 15, 2023, 06:39:40 PM
I don't know how to explain the second problem very well. It's an intermittent issue that sometimes the pedal doesn't output full power, and I try unplugging it or switching on and off a few times and eventually whatever it is clears up and it works fine from then on.

Gotcha. That could be a problem with the boost pot or maybe the 3pdt switch. Have you tried taking any voltage readings on the circuit?