News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A small note

Started by madbean, July 03, 2014, 05:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spin

word, big ups to everyone. I may not big a big poster on here, but this (this=the community in general) is the best community I've had the pleasure of being part of. Nowhere have I seen so much support and encouragement as I have with the pedal building community. We are not competitors, just colleagues in the same industry. I love how we all buy each others products and cross support everyone involved. There are too many to name specifically, but the big guys have no problem with standing shoulder to shoulder with the newcomers and long time builders alike.

selfdestroyer

I have said this before, I have lurked many DIY forums or music forums with DIY sections and this is the only one that feels like "home". The attitude of all the members and the free-flow of advice from our super knowledgeable members have really helped me excel in this hobby. Its also the little things that makes huge differences like the PIF sub forum and the holiday gift exchange. I really think that Brian set the precedence/bar here and it is up to all of us members to maintain it. I continue to praise all the active members here and Brian for all the help and heaps of information available to all of us.

Thanks for making a welcoming home for people like me to share ideas and inspire each other. Not a build goes by without thinking of this place and the people on here.

Another really cool dynamic here is the fact that we show compassion to others and truly want to help each other. I have seen it with builds and with personal matters. I am happy to be a member at this forum and hope it never ends.

(time to wipe the tears from my eyes and do some man stuff really quick before the wife walks in)

Cody

pickdropper

Quote from: spin on July 05, 2014, 09:39:19 PM
word, big ups to everyone. I may not big a big poster on here, but this (this=the community in general) is the best community I've had the pleasure of being part of. Nowhere have I seen so much support and encouragement as I have with the pedal building community. We are not competitors, just colleagues in the same industry. I love how we all buy each others products and cross support everyone involved. There are too many to name specifically, but the big guys have no problem with standing shoulder to shoulder with the newcomers and long time builders alike.

Yeah, I agree.  The majority of the folks in the community are friendly and helpful and the overall vibe is much more accepting of people, regardless of skill level.  That's not always the case on hobbyist forums.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

HailToTheBlues

Totally agree with everything said here! Everyone here is willing to help, it feels like this is not just a forum, but a brotherhood. This place turn out to be my second home, it feels weird if i don't come here at least one or two times.

Bret608

I feel like participating in this hobby via this forum has finally helped me put into practice an ethos that was present in a lot of the '80s underground music I grew up on. The Minutemen said it best with the quote "Our band could be your life," i.e. the DIY spirit present in punk music could be a model for living in general. I may not be able to participate in this hobby quite as fully as I would like sometimes, but I still feel that doing this has helped me be more self-reliant in daily life. Example: I changed out a sink faucet, did not have to call a plumber, and my wife was extremely proud of me!

The quote in Brian's original post regarding music being a craft resonates with me as well. Mike Watt had an article in Musician magazine back when it was still around ('94 maybe?). He discussed the difference between practicing and rehearsing. Food for thought if anyone can dig it up.

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

upthepunxxx

Amen, preach on my brotha! I just think its so cool how rational, practical, & ego-less that was. I hope I can give as much advice as I feel as I have taken from this place. One day!

Stay Punk!
Wake up and smell the noise!!