News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cornish: worth the effort?

Started by LaceSensor, July 04, 2014, 02:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

I bashed out the sabro vero combined with the Tagboard Mark buffer and no dice
too late to troubleshoot now. bloody vero.

pickdropper

A local guy wants me to build an 8-in-1 pedal for him.  he asked Pete Cornish how much and the answer was: $12k.

I promise I can keep it under 11.   ;D
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

juansolo

Quote from: pickdropper on July 04, 2014, 10:39:34 PM
A local guy wants me to build an 8-in-1 pedal for him.  he asked Pete Cornish how much and the answer was: $12k.

Mother of GOD!
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

mah62

.....of course, these are silly prices. I know it is completely irrelevant but I played with Pete once upon a time (he plays alto sax), he is a lovely guy so if Gilmour et all are prepared to pay this kind of dosh who am I to criticise. I'll be etching MB's Darkside very soon instead so who's the richer man, eh!?.......er, him!

BTW i don't understand what is going on with these buffers on this schematic. It seems to be cascading two buffers before it hits the main circuit. Is this right or have I misinterpreted it?

Mark

Muadzin

A luthier once said to another aspiring luthier (which I overheard) that when business is picking up and you start to become in growing demand you can either expand your business to meet said demand or raise prices and lose some demand. The former brings with it that you spend less time doing what you like to do in the first place and more time doing paperwork as you run a business, and with it several employees. The latter has the advantage that you don't need to expand your business as the higher prices will weed out some of your potential customers, allowing you to concentrate more on what you like to do in the first place.

It would seem that Pete chose the latter approach.

sdlogan9

Quote from: Muadzin on July 07, 2014, 11:22:30 AM
A luthier once said to another aspiring luthier (which I overheard) that when business is picking up and you start to become in growing demand you can either expand your business to meet said demand or raise prices and lose some demand. The former brings with it that you spend less time doing what you like to do in the first place and more time doing paperwork as you run a business, and with it several employees. The latter has the advantage that you don't need to expand your business as the higher prices will weed out some of your potential customers, allowing you to concentrate more on what you like to do in the first place.

It would seem that Pete chose the latter approach.

Good advice here..  I think the path Pete took is the better of the two!

-Shane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neve1272

i have to say that the darkside was the best muff i have used for myself .....but i dont like the tone stack

brian would you try a ss-2 maybe?....i tried to find a schematic to bread board but couldn't and if any thing like the darkside turned out
i think would finally find a overdrive/distortion that i like (tube screamers dont float my boat ..tho i have not tried booteek ones)...im very found of the fet based /catlinbread type stuff

still looking for that peacekeeper...... ;)
Kip

Alaboogie

Have wanted a g2 for a while now and so I just built a Darkside that keefe etched for me. It is everything I had imagined it to be...better high frequency response than the muff I had, and much more than just a one trick solo pony...really thickens up my strat and can get pretty gnarly with the gain maxed! Buttery smooth when used to solo...

flanagan0718

Quote from: culturejam on July 04, 2014, 10:34:00 PM
I always thought the allure of Cornish was the rugged construction more than anything else. I believe that's why Gilmour started using his stuff. Totally custom multi-effect unit tweaked for a specific tour and set of songs that can take a beating. But all the effects were just pulled from existing pedals and cobbled together in a big box. So it's really about the build itself.

No idea why anyone would want a single pedal of his, other than to say you have one.

Yeah they seem to want the brag factor. it's usually just pompus a-holes that do it too (in my experience). I was in a cover band a few years ago and had a HUGE pedal board. A couple of my on builds, a couple of modded line 6 pedals, and some comercial stuff. This guy came up and said my board was sh*t without a Cornish fuzz. Granted, the pedals I had wen't anything special but I personally would NEVER say that to another musician.

raulduke

I have to say 12K sounds like a lot of money for a pedalboard.

If people are prepared to pay it fair does to him though.

pickdropper

Quote from: raulduke on July 08, 2014, 01:13:45 PM
I have to say 12K sounds like a lot of money for a pedalboard.

If people are prepared to pay it fair does to him though.

Yeah, that's my take on it, too.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

G.G.

I recently built an SS-2 from the layout over at GuitarFX. It sounds pretty much like the video demos I watched. To me it seemed very close to the Distortion+ with Wampler mods I made by following his article in Guitar Player. I actually prefer the Dist+ and if anyone wants the SS-2 I would be happy to send it to them for the price of shipping. Seems kind of a shame to have a working build just sitting around if someone might use it.

GermanCdn

Quote from: pickdropper on July 04, 2014, 10:39:34 PM

I'm guessing that price keeps the tire kickers away.  Had a similar situation where one of my favourite guitarists was selling off some of his gear without posting prices, I contacted him on one piece, he wanted three times the new retail price for a stock production run guitar ($5500 for a stock plain top core Mira).  That price too kept the tire kickers away, so much so that he still owns the guitar  ::).
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.