News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mojo Zygote Build Observation on Carbon Comps

Started by claytushaywood, February 26, 2012, 05:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

claytushaywood

Currently, I am sourcing parts for my first build with all "mojo" parts.  it will look awesome for sure.  But the sound has been argued to death on the internet.  Whatever.  In my search I found a cool article by RG Keen on Geofex about CC resistors in circuits and the measurable "resistor distortion" factor.  To get the most resistor distortion he says that you should use the smallest wattage that the circuit can handle.  I began thinking... can't pedals run off 1/8watt resistors?  yeh... I'm a newb so i dont know if the zygote can.  But then I thought are there any 1/8watt carbon comps... and they were hard to find.  But i found a site selling 1/8watt allen bradly carbon comps at a pretty reasonable price!  Before my questions let me say that I believe in mojo, always have and always will.  I can hear differences between coupling caps in amps.  I hated the sound of a measured silver mica versus a ceramic in my rangemaster.  yada yada yada

So a couple questions...
Can the zygote run off 1/8 watt resistors?
People always recommend using top notch carbon comps like allen bradleys- but I started thinking that maybe a top notch brand might not have as high a voltage coef.  and therefore not induce as much resistor distortion... what about this?  The site doesnt have the specs listed for the resistors, and it seems like there's definitely been more than one type of allen bradley carbon comp resistor produced over the years.

I know there's very newb stuff in here,  and this has been smacked all over the web.  but i thought this might be of interest to fellow mojo'ers out there.  and to non believers.

What kind of resistor is recommended for pull down resistors?  Would a carbon comp make a difference in tone at the pulldown spot?  would a metal film possibly have less noise?
here's the link
http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/carbon_comp/carboncomp.htm

Thanks!

madbean

You certainly can use 1/8W resistors in a fuzz, although I have not actually done this myself. I'm going to build up the new Eric Johnson spec'd FF on the little 1590A baby fuzz I'm working on, and I will probably use 1/8W for that.

I think those Allen Bradys would be a totally cool. I've got a bunch of them in super dumb values and 1/4W that I picked up cheaply from a local shop a few years ago. Like, who ever needs a 164K carbon comp? Well, I have them if I ever need them!

Anyway, of course it's good to get informed and read other people's opinions, but I can tell you from experience don't take anything anyone says as law. Do the experimentation yourself and let your own ear guide you as to what sounds good and does not. No one can tell you what you like. Personally, I always ignore what people say or recommend about what parts to use and go with what I have and what I have learned sounds good to me.

As far as a pull-down, there is no reason AT ALL to use a carbon comp...it's not in series with the signal path. Use them for the rest of the circuit, but just stick with carbon film or metal for the pull-down.

And, if you are paying attention, you know to ignore what I just said and try for yourself :)

claytushaywood

thanks.  that's exactly what I believe.  just looking for a little science occasionally.  thought I might have found some!  but then I read the last line of that article says putting carbon comps in pedals is bull.  whatever... rg keen... what kind of name is that?   :D