News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How do you create drill templates?

Started by blearyeyes, December 25, 2017, 04:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackSkellington

I use Front Panel Designer, it is really good for this particular process.
But I like customize every template for every pedal, not totally. Then I export the tamplate and use the vector pack to draw the graphic.
When I drill by hand the boxes I use very caution, I measure the holes and its position with a ruler and verify the encumbrance of the component as possibile. Sometime I have to do some adjustment and redraw the graphic.
Then I print the graphic on normal paper to verify the position of the holes, the text, etc.
My tools are very simple, so I have to do the things with care. But I'm growing up. 8)
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

juansolo

I do it in Photoshop (purely because I've been using it forever, I'm positive there are better options these days). There's a building multi's tutorial on my site where I go into how I do them here: http://juansolo.co.uk/stompage/multibuild.html
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

soldersqueeze

I trace and measure the board the draw it up on to graph paper. Works fine but reading other replies makes me wonder about using a computer....

sjaustin

My first preference is always to use the drill template provided with the build document, if there is one. But I always print it and double check it against the PCB to make sure there is no scaling issue. Then I usually do a screenshot of that part of the PDF and drop it into my decal design, resizing as necessary to make sure it matches up. I use Apple's word processor app Pages to design my decals. I made a Pages version of the Vector Pack that has the bare necessities in it to get me going—enclosures, switches, a couple knobs.

For me, I always print full face decals, and I want to make sure that the drill template portion of the design sits in the right spot on the enclosure. So eventually, a regular paper printout of the decal itself becomes my drill template.

If I'm building on vero or a PCB that doesn't use board mounted pots, there's a little more wiggle room for placement, but of course I still want everything to be proportional, so the process is pretty similar.