News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tubes, need help

Started by mcasemo, April 06, 2015, 12:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcasemo

A good friends father passed away a while back, he was an electronics guy, tv circuits and such early on, raytheon control systems, apollo mission controls guy.  did not get to meet him.  he has been clearing out his house and gave me the second batch of tubes he found.

Can anyone identify if these are worth keeping for projects?  I have a separate box of unboxed tubes that i need to pull and identify.

i'll list these out if you can't see them

jimilee

Now when you say identify, the boxes are marked with what they are. What are you looking for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

mcasemo

haha, "identify" if they are useful for guitar projects.  or if anyone here is interested in them.  I'm going to start googling, but figured i'd check here for any guitar usefulness. 

the first round of tubes he sold at a garage sale (or gave away), the guy who bought them was so excited, later my friend was like i should have let you see them first.  I was just glad he did not throw them out and they got picked up for use by someone.  Just want to see if these are useful.

davent

I have two amps and building a third that use 6aq5's for power tubes. One of those uses a 6u8 for the preamp.

I think i've seen a few early schematics using the 6au6 for a preamp tube.

6CA7 similar to an el34.

12au7, 12at7 also useful.

Those are the ones i recognize off hand.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

mcasemo

GrindCustoms

The 6BZ7, worth to thinker around.

http://www.classiccmp.org/rtellason/tubedata/6BZ7.pdf
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

davent

Now there's a box i can see 6E... if it's a 6eu7, that's a 12ax7 equivalent, parameters the same but different pinout, have a socket for one on my 5F2a amp, equivalent but maybe quieter?
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

GrindCustoms

Quote from: davent on April 06, 2015, 03:43:42 AM
Now there's a box i can see 6E... if it's a 6eu7, that's a 12ax7 equivalent, parameters the same but different pinout, have a socket for one on my 5F2a amp, equivalent but maybe quieter?

Yeah, i also have some 6EU7, anti-microphonic of the 12AX7.

To OP, a simple trick to sort tubes is by their first and last number, the first number will say the maximum heater voltage, so 6.3V and 12V is what you might want to look for as it's what we find in most amplifier. Usually the tubes model number finishing by 7 will be the 9 pin packaging that we are used to see in preamps.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

mcasemo

thanks guys, i'm going to list them out and post.  i can't do anything with them, so aside from holding a few back for a possible amp or tube pedal, would like to get them in the hands of folks who want to mess with them.  they may be all useless, but if you see something you want, let me know.

lincolnic

Quote from: GrindCustoms on April 06, 2015, 03:48:22 AM
Yeah, i also have some 6EU7, anti-microphonic of the 12AX7.

To OP, a simple trick to sort tubes is by their first and last number, the first number will say the maximum heater voltage, so 6.3V and 12V is what you might want to look for as it's what we find in most amplifier. Usually the tubes model number finishing by 7 will be the 9 pin packaging that we are used to see in preamps.

I can't believe nobody's ever pointed that out to me before.

juansolo

Certainly some useful stuff for amps in there too.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

micromegas

I think you also have a Sylvania 6v6GT on the right lower corner of the box
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

mcasemo

Thanks to everyone for looking through these.  I've discovered i know nothing about tubes, but interested to learn now.  These are all common TV/Radio kinda tubes, but should give me some fun making some single tube starved plate stuff, or maybe experimenting with the step up voltage projects using MAX1771.  Some are useful for tremolo reverb stuff i think.

But what i seem to have multiples of will make silvertone 1430? / sears 5XL type low watt amps using 12au6, 35w4, 50c5 tubes, the "all american five" radio amps.  So thinking I'm going to try to fit one in a small enclosure (octo box!) and use the MAX1771 and forgo the straight from 110AC non isolated widow maker thing.

cheers,
mark