News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Something Similar to Boss PH-2

Started by jazzster, May 17, 2021, 08:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jazzster

Hey everyone. I'm interested in building a phaser similar to the Boss PH-2. I find the really resonant 10/12 stage phaser sounds that Mike Einziger from Incubus gets to be really cool. Anyone know of a company that makes a PCB along those lines? Doesn't have to be an exact clone of the PH-2, just some sort of analog 8, 10 or 12 stage phaser that gets those big resonant tones and is in the same vein as the PH-2.

jimilee

Lecturing-fx has a 10 stage phaser called the countdown. Tag board has a layout for a switchable 4 to 8 stage phaser. Tone pad has a Ross phaser layout with a mod that adds 4 more stages in increments, so I imagine you can add as many as you can afford.

I have yet to see anything that does what the boss ph-2 does. We were discussing that exact thing about a month or two ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Betty Wont

The pedalpcb duo phase has 2 x 6 stage phasers that can be synced in series.

Aentons

Fyi, here is the discussion about the PH2 that Jimi referenced. It's would probably be a fairly expensive build. I got mine on eBay for $28 a couple years back.

https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=32515.msg312354#msg312354

lars

If a phaser capable of up to 12 stages is what you're after, then this thread should be of interest:
https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12193
The nice thing is that thread has a working link to the 4-page service manual, which includes a full trace of the original pcb and the parts list (some parts would have to be subbed for more available equivalents of course). That same user who posted the service manual has also built at least two boards of that phaser. The TC XII is apparently one of the best-sounding phasers ever made. I didn't know they existed until I stumbled on that thread.

jimilee

Daaaaamn, I didn't know that was a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Aentons

Hmm, I only see 6 stages in the service manual. What am I missing?

Aentons

For comparison, here is the schematic for the PH-2. Only 8 of the stages actually modulate. The others are fixed.

culturejam

Quote from: Aentons on May 19, 2021, 07:46:18 PM

Probably 6 modulated/swept stages and 6 fixed stages? The fixed stages add "depth" (for lack of a better word).
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Aentons

Quote from: culturejam on May 20, 2021, 01:00:55 AM
Quote from: Aentons on May 19, 2021, 07:46:18 PM

Probably 6 modulated/swept stages and 6 fixed stages? The fixed stages add "depth" (for lack of a better word).
It looks more like 6 modulated stages with some feedback options. I don't see any additional fixed stages.

Edit: TC XII schematic added

Aentons

Quote from: Betty Wont on May 18, 2021, 04:01:50 AM
The pedalpcb duo phase has 2 x 6 stage phasers that can be synced in series.
This is the one that I would pick. I'm not sure it will do the really intense resonant/nasal sounds that the PH2 does.

https://www.pedalpcb.com/product/duophase/

Aentons

There is also the Moog MF-103 12 stage phaser. It will do 8 or 12 and it looks like they all modulate.

Here is the schematic for it:
https://www.synthxl.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Moog-MF-103-Schematics.pdf

However, I don't think anyone has a diy project for this... yet

jazzster

Thanks for all of the information on this. A lot of it is above my head but it is interesting to learn about. It seems like the short answer to my question of an existing PCB similar to a PH-2 is; there isn't one, haha. The Duo-Phase that was mentioned looks neat but it is massive. I guess I really want a compact PH-2 style phaser I will have to learn a lot more.

matmosphere

Quote from: Aentons on May 20, 2021, 04:01:49 AM
There is also the Moog MF-103 12 stage phaser. It will do 8 or 12 and it looks like they all modulate.

Here is the schematic for it:
https://www.synthxl.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Moog-MF-103-Schematics.pdf

However, I don't think anyone has a diy project for this... yet

Holy crap! That's the real schematic isn't it!? Any chance they have the mf102 schematic as well?

Aentons

Quote from: jazzster on May 20, 2021, 05:41:14 AM
Thanks for all of the information on this. A lot of it is above my head but it is interesting to learn about. It seems like the short answer to my question of an existing PCB similar to a PH-2 is; there isn't one, haha. The Duo-Phase that was mentioned looks neat but it is massive. I guess I really want a compact PH-2 style phaser I will have to learn a lot more.
My suggestion would be to try the VFE Tractor Beam. It is compact and has a ton of options including some extreme feedback which increases the resonance.