News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD also

Started by djaaz, February 14, 2024, 12:19:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djaaz

Recently, looking at my guitars, their sheer numbers and the absolute certainty that i was missing one, a very brief "you should be ashamed of yourself" popped up in my thoughts.
I checked thoroughly and the outcome of this intense introspection that lasted 17ms was that i'm not.
However, i decided that some of my players could go in favor of more sustained value guitars. In France, that means not too recent american guitars.
So i started with the buying, we'll see about the selling later.
Here you go:  a 80's guild M80. First conversations are promising.

jimilee

Oh very nice, congratulations! I am not ashamed of my 46(?) guitars at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

djaaz

What i'm trying not to say as if it was some sort of secret is that these late 70's to 80's Guild solid body are absolut beasts. Undervalued as hell.
That's my second after a S60 from 79 that, despites the love & abuse it saw, is a hell of a guitar.
This one has a thin mahogany body with a maple top, 24 really easy to access frets, an ebony fretboard and DiMarzio pickups.
The hardware is modern and smart.
It is a heavy guitar which should not disturb any LP aficionados.

jimilee

Quote from: djaaz on February 14, 2024, 06:20:55 PM
What i'm trying not to say as if it was some sort of secret is that these late 70's to 80's Guild solid body are absolut beasts. Undervalued as hell.
That's my second after a S60 from 79 that, despites the love & abuse it saw, is a hell of a guitar.
This one has a thin mahogany body with a maple top, 24 really easy to access frets, an ebony fretboard and DiMarzio pickups.
The hardware is modern and smart.
It is a heavy guitar which should not disturb any LP aficionados.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gordo

I'd forgotten all about that line Guilds.  They were/are very cool guitars!
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

lars

That's a workhorse right there. Outstanding access to the upper registers.

blearyeyes

That's really nice! That ticks all the boxes for me. Ebony seems to make a guitar extra fine. I just discovered how great Dmarzios are. Blinded by Seymour. Then Ibanez woke me up. Congratulations!

gordo

Having had to replace a lot of rotted out Dimarzios over the years, including a pair in my own gear they were a means to an end in the 70's, I think they were a blessing back then. They have continued success even with the SD and new guy challenge.  I'm skeptical of the new wave of stuff and given that I'm a big fan of GFS I don't think my opinion counts.  I sound pretty good though.  Just sayin...

Dimarzio might have got it right thru the years.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?