News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Is our JHS @ Andy Timmons schematic wrong?

Started by JackSkellington, May 29, 2020, 03:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackSkellington

Hi guys. I build, starting from the Crunch Box, the circuit of the JHS @ AT pedal based on the schematic on PedalPCB Angry Andy.
The thing works very fine, but I saw a picture of the original pedal where the EQ pot is linear and not reverse log. I replaced it, but as I expected at noon it sounds a bit too much muddy.
The linear pot sounds muddy until the last part of the sweep, while the reverse log works the opposite way, the treble is more open at noon, and it become brighter a little bit at max. But I guess it's a bit better like that, anyway. Probably I'll back to the reverse log.

Anyway, looking some demo on youtube of the original pedal, and I can see how much is more balanced and centered, the sweep of the EQ pot, well distributed. I really can't understand how it can be if in it there's a 10k linear.
Did someone else noticed that, too?
Is the schematic we know wrong?

https://www.pedalpcb.com/docs/AngryAndy.pdf

(There was a mistery around a 100nF cap, close to the opamp (in the Angry Charlie, very close to the AT) but that cap should be a noise filter between 9v and he ground, just positionated there. Even, I can see anyway a third 100nF cap. I never convinced 100% about it.
The AT has smd parts, so it's a bit hard follow the schematic.)
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

Willybomb

JackSkellington

A W tape at 50% is at half of the resistor of the pot, exactly like a linear.
And it's sure that the EQ is a linear 10k: B10k printed on the pot.

[I tried again te C10k, with the EQ and Air at noon the circuit sounds not muddy, but the treble are smooth.
A thing I noticed is that if I low the guitar volume I lost treble, even if with my guitar with treble bleed.
I think that the circuit works fine, everything is ok and at its place, resistors and caps are well oriented and correct.
]
Don't count on this last part. With the 10k reverse log sounds fine. It was just a bit dark beacuse I included in the layout a 100nF cap found in some schematic, but it absent.
I just still think that the original one sounds brighter to dispite the EQ 10k linear pot should be keep it a bit dark.
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»