News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cheapest possible solder mask-like substance

Started by somnif, April 14, 2019, 12:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

somnif

I recently "designed" (aka copied) an SMD board and ordered a few from OSHpark. Only problem, my bottom of the barrel Eagle skills resulted in a few design quirks I'm not totally comfortable with.

My current issue is a ground via that is positioned such that it is ALMOST bridging the two pads of a resistor. There is a gap, but the via isn't masked and I am worried that my shakey hands would result in one pad or the other bridging to the via and buggering things up.

Any idea what the cheapest possible way I could mask the via is? I don't want to spend 20$ on UV curing varnish for a 2$ board (especially since I have to drop 400$ on my car on monday). Would a simple paint marker be enough to give me a little peace of mind?

On a related topic, how would one make Eagle mask over vias?

alanp

Put some solder braid on top, and very very quickly heat it up and remove it. The tricky part will be not removing components while you do it.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

davent

Score the space between the pads with an xacto/scalpel knife, might help prevent an accidental bridge. After soldering since you already know the spot, rescore with the knife to be sure it hasn't bridged.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?