News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Minimum Post number required for BST?

Started by GrindCustoms, July 29, 2014, 10:06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peAk

unless they are someone you guys know that are active on another site

I have bought a few things with guys with a low post count on here but other members on this forum assured me that they were legit and active on a different DIY site.

If I remember right, that big group by for the switches and i/o jacks for BYOC was brought on here with someone (Chris?)  with a low post count.

Govmnt_Lacky

I like the give/take spirit on here as well as other forums (I was a member over on DIYSB long before here.... dont know why I didn't come here long ago though) and a few people on here can tell you that I am a F/S Nazi over there!  ::)

I HATE it when Post #1 is titled "I'm selling my...." I take it as a sort of disrespect to the people as they are only using it to pimp there wares and usually a lot more often than not, fail to contribute. I am by no means a master at this but, I do attempt to apply my knowledge CONSTANTLY to people that need it.

There is one guy in particular over on the other forum that logs in only 1 time every 3 months to bump his F/S ad! This is done so the thread does not get deleted.

P.S. I also agree with the DIYSB rule of NOT posting eBay AUCTIONS. Fixed price only.  ;)

GrindCustoms

Quote from: peAk on July 30, 2014, 04:21:56 PM

I have bought a few things with guys with a low post count on here but other members on this forum assured me that they were legit and active on a different DIY site.

If I remember right, that big group by for the switches and i/o jacks for BYOC was brought on here with someone (Chris?)  with a low post count.

I know Chris very well, he sadly went through bunch of personnal issues at the same time he was running that latest GB. He's an highly respected member on BYOC and have done lots for the community. Shit happens. ;)
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

peAk

Quote from: GrindCustoms on July 30, 2014, 05:10:26 PM

I know Chris very well, he sadly went through bunch of personnal issues at the same time he was running that latest GB. He's an highly respected member on BYOC and have done lots for the community. Shit happens. ;)

yeah, that's kind of my point. Post counts don't always tell the story. That was a nice group buy

jimilee

Quote from: peAk on July 30, 2014, 05:50:50 PM
Quote from: GrindCustoms on July 30, 2014, 05:10:26 PM

yeah, that's kind of my point. Post counts don't always tell the story. That was a nice group buy
True story. I don't post a lot of on diysb more here and byoc than anywhere. Maybe we could run a background check? The mod with the most free time can check eBay credentials and other forums. OR have to wait at least 30 days from registering to post in BST.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

marmora

I joined back in March but haven't been very active as a poster (soaked up a ton of knowledge though!). I posted in the BST forum this past week and specifically mentioned that while not active here yet, I've been at diystompboxes for about 8 years and could provide references since I understand people's hesitation in dealing with someone with a low post count.

I could have posted at diystompboxes, but my main reason for posting here is that the BST is active and updated. The other site can be like trying to sell ice to Eskimos.
Thanks for hearing me out, this is an awesome place to be.

midwayfair

This forum has been good for years at self/community policing without a minimum post count for years. Some people can read constantly and never post until they have something to offer ... which might, in their case, be something they made. Not everyone is comfortable posting on a forum for various reasons.

"Whenever there has been talk of exterminating rats, others, who were not rats, have been exterminated." --Gunter Grass.

spin

Justus

I understand both views.  I have frequented a lot of paintball forums in the past with various BST rules, and have done thousands in transactions.  One forum, the best I think, has few rules but self-polices very well due to the mature community.  Another couple good forums required a 25 post count with 50 reputation points.  Not too hard to obtain with minimal effort.  Still another was an immature, wild west where the rules were "buyer beware."  And yet another had so many barriers (post count, picture and listing requirements, etc) that the market there was stifled.

So, that said, if this forum self-polices well, then it ain't broke.  Just my $.02 anyway, from a pedal building rookie who does more reading than posting.  ;)

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

gordo

I really don't mind the skanks, I just ignore it.  Plus if anyone got burned around here it would get out quick. I think we have each others backs.  I do consider it a rite of passage to get credibility around her though.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

wgc

Quote from: gordo on July 31, 2014, 02:58:05 AM
I really don't mind the skanks, I just ignore it.  Plus if anyone got burned around here it would get out quick. I think we have each others backs.  I do consider it a rite of passage to get credibility around her though.

I tend to agree with and use this approach, though I also understand the feelings of resentment.

It's not like anyone is going to get rich from selling 5 pieces of their big muff layout or 1000 piece led group buy.  And it might actually save you some money, but probably not much.

I haven't perceived this to be such a huge problem that it requires new admin action or rules, but maybe I'm just good at ignoring things. ;). I mostly consider it a sign of a healthy community.

Chris' previous group buy was a massive effort, and worked well for me at the time, hope he is well.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Govmnt_Lacky

I dont think people get aggrivated about Group buy events. Those do nothing but benefit the "community" or those interested parties. This is more catered towards the people whom log on, sign up, and immediately plaster pics of a build with a For Sale sign. No assistance posts to the community and no giving back. Just logging in to check/bump their sale.

Hell, I was well into 1500 posts over on DIYStomp before I tried my first sale and even then I asked Aron for his permission!  8)

flanagan0718

Quote from: selfdestroyer on July 29, 2014, 10:32:15 PM
Quote from: GrindCustoms on July 29, 2014, 10:06:39 PM
I've noticed that lately lots of first posts by newer member are in the BST,  with no introduction prior to it, just signing in and put their shizznit for sale.

What would it be to have a minimum post required to be able to post stuff for sale in that section? Instead of having people that are not active in this community and simply take advantage of the views of this message board.

Rej

I have noticed that recently also. I usually not order from someone unless I have seen them contribute on other threads and have 50 or more posts. There has been a few times I have bent my rules but then I know the risk. That being said, I have only had one bad experience here in the BST and quite a few of us got screwed on the deal.

I could be wrong but I don't think the BST forum was made for the people that made an account just to get a larger audience to sell their stuff.

I know what its like to have something for sale and you want as many people to see it as possible but this is not really one of those kind of forums. It feels more like a close knit group than a place of random rambling.

Cody

I usually do the same. I look for past contributions, post count, and or build reports. But, it's quality not quantity that counts for me. 15 build reports speaks louder than 15 questions. That being said i also agree with Jon. I waited a while before i posted anything. I was a member at HC and posted once or twice and it was like I was the BLACK PLAGUE. All because I was a newb. This place was and still is very excepting, of all experience levels, and that's what has kept a lot of people here. Maybe a low minimum might be good but, it could also hinder some from getting capitol to build more/what they want. IDK

chromesphere

Im sorry, I have to mention this...I think the intention of the seller that started this conversation has become quite clear.  No intention of contributing, just hawking their own wares:

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=16537.15
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube