News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Super Secret Mystery Mojo

Started by madbean, July 11, 2012, 12:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

Actually, this one is pretty easy to figure out. Only notable because it is a home-made two layer board and actually sounds totally great despite the use of non-stock parts (multi-layer caps). For whatever reason, this one has a lot of even sounding harmonics...more-so than other, umm, super secret mystery mojo builds I've done.

I've done a few two layer boards like this---not really all that hard if you take your time and plan your component stuffing ahead of time.

irmcdermott

Any tips for the two layers? Always wanted to try that.

jkokura

er... it's a timmy!

I noticed the two layer thing. That's pretty neat, case it's rare to see that with double sided etchings. They're challenging I know.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

madbean

Quote from: irmcdermott on July 11, 2012, 12:49:38 AM
Any tips for the two layers? Always wanted to try that.

The only trick is to create registration points on the four borders of the top and bottom images. Iron the bottom, then drill through the bottom registration points, poke a small hole in the top registration points on the PNP blue, then line them up by shining light through it. Tape it down, then iron the top.

This one was not exact but close enough that I could build it. I have gotten lucky before and gotten them exactly right. One thing to remember: you need to reverse your top image before printing it to PNP so it is mirrored correctly when you iron!

Haberdasher

I've been using some mlcc's in my builds and I actually like them.  They sound great in fuzzes and distortions imho.

I'd like to try the double sided thing sometime.  It looks challenging.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

midwayfair

:o I've never seen a double-sided etch.

Quote from: Haberdasher on July 11, 2012, 01:51:20 AM
I've been using some mlcc's in my builds and I actually like them.  They sound great in fuzzes and distortions imho.

I like them in boosts especially. The slight graininess works for sparkle. Discovered it accidentally by making tiny builds ...

Brian: Are you diodes somewhat mismatched, maybe? That could be a source of some even order harmonic content if they're "off" by enough.

nzCdog

that is just cool!  double sided etch looks soooo good

Bret608

Wait, is it really a Timmy? I was going to say a Burn Unit, mainly because I thought the board being photographed on top of a BBQ pit had some secret symbolism going on. Then again I have no idea what the guts of a Burn Unit look like!

whitebread47

Looks like a slightly modified K**n to me w/ an extra set of clipping diodes wired to a switch?  After building a number of pedals and looking at a lot of schems & layouts, there are some distinct characteristics to that circuit. 

A Timmy would only have one IC I believe, unless it's a SUPER TIMMY!
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

k.rock!

Quote from: whitebread47 on July 11, 2012, 10:35:02 PM
Looks like a slightly modified K**n to me w/ an extra set of clipping diodes wired to a switch? 

This was going to be my guess too... :D

Great job on that double sided etch dude!

-K
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

jimmybjj

Quote from: k.rock! on July 11, 2012, 11:11:53 PM
Quote from: whitebread47 on July 11, 2012, 10:35:02 PM
Looks like a slightly modified K**n to me w/ an extra set of clipping diodes wired to a switch? 

This was going to be my guess too... :D

Great job on that double sided etch dude!

-K

+1 pot values seem to match up as well.
Pcbs no longer available

jkokura

It's not a timmy... that was a joke.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

whitebread47

Quote from: jkokura on July 12, 2012, 02:07:27 AM
It's not a timmy... that was a joke.

Jacob

I thought it was (you certainly know more about circuits than I do) and found it funny myself, but you know how text doesn't translate sometimes.  ;)
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

Bret608

I totally thought it was funny too Jacob...sorry if my Burn Unit tangent gave the opposite impression! I'm always down for a good Timmy joke.

jkokura

yeah, it's just that the Timmy seems to be the running mystery pedal. The schem is up, but people keep asking for it. We've all said we won't do layouts for it around here, but people keep asking for it, so it's the automatic joke for me, but I've got over 3000 posts and am very familiar with what happens around here, and I forget that not everyone would get that.

Sorry for the confusion...

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*