News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Low Profile Doppelganger 1.4 - Return of the Tick

Started by eldanko, August 06, 2014, 09:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eldanko

Ok... FINALLY got around to populating this board. I know that the rest of you guys are on version 2.8 or something like that now.... but I just couldn't let this thing sit around unbuilt.

As I feared, I'm getting the dreaded ticking problem. Just curious if anyone out there figured out a workaround for it. Some pertinent information:

- Used shielded wiring on ins/outs and to/from board.
- No part subs to begin with.
- I swapped IC3 from a TL074 to an LM324 and this actually decreased the volume of the ticking slightly.
- The ticking seems directly linked to the "Rate" control on the HF band. When the rate is set to max, there is no tick... only from 0-99%.
- I used waterclear LEDs for the rate indicators, not diffused, if this matters at all.
- I used green diffused LEDs and the SmallBear LDR's (same as alanp used) for the LED/LDR combos.
- My board is purple, which leads me to believe it was an early run. Not sure if this matters.
- Running after a buffered pedal made no difference.

Thoughts from the guys who've built this thing?
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

alanp

Try subbing IC2 for a TL062 -- slightly lower current draw, perhaps? Solder a 100n cap across the power pins for the opamps?

With the 2.1 boards out, I really can't recommend using the 1.4 board anymore. Too many people have had issues, whereas the 2.1 doesn't have any bad ticking reports so far.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

LaceSensor

Juansolo and I tried everything really

The tick is there at the fastest rate you just can't hear it cos it's so fast...

I'd save ur parts for the 2.1 and live happy

Ian

eldanko

Quote from: alanp on August 07, 2014, 05:39:02 AM
Try subbing IC2 for a TL062 -- slightly lower current draw, perhaps? Solder a 100n cap across the power pins for the opamps?

Yeah, tried the TL062. Marginal improvement, if any. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Quote from: LaceSensor on August 07, 2014, 08:05:04 AM
Juansolo and I tried everything really

The tick is there at the fastest rate you just can't hear it cos it's so fast...

I'd save ur parts for the 2.1 and live happy

Yes, I've read through all of the past threads with you guys. Seems you tried every trick in the book. I figured the tick was still there at max rate, but it's inaudible through my rig so I'm happy leaving that knob there.

I may dive into the 2.1 someday, as I really am in love with the effect. Right now I can still use this thing in single LFO mode (with HF rate maxed) so it's not a complete wash. This is probably my favorite phaser that I've ever used - or at least tied with the Empress that I had for a while.

It just baffles me that some guys got ticking and others didn't, all using the same pcbs.
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

LaceSensor

People have rdifferent tolerance thresholds for tick...