News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

JMK Test Rig

Started by lego4040, March 01, 2024, 11:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lego4040

So I ordered JMK's test Rig as parts needed to build mostly. I had the tiny tester, worked great but when I moved a few years ago I've seen to misplaced the rig, lost in a box somewhere. I've been out of the hobby for some time, jumped to tube amp building but wanted to get back into pedals and needed something simple for tone generator and amp. Any one else build and have some advice? I have the pdf for build out but looking for do's and don't. Like what kind of probe works best(I have old meter probes that'll work, I was thinking of maybe one medium/large enclosure with say 4" speaker(?ohm) built into it. Something along those lines

jimilee

I built one, I use it for all my builds. Make sure the switches are oriented correctly, they're hard as hell to get out if you don't. That was board number one. Your idea for an audio probe is dead on, that's what I did. I got a set of 4 speaker terminals to connect the pedal wires and put them on the front. That was a pain after a very short time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

lego4040

Thanks for info, I'm guessing that 3dpdt is a Standard stomp switch. The 2dpdt though, is that a on/on or on/off/on? If you remember the one you used or a link that be great.those spring loaded speaker terminals is a great idea, I was thinking of using good color coded alligators so I'd have room to move things around if needed, 🤔.

jimilee

Quote from: lego4040 on March 02, 2024, 02:49:25 PM
Thanks for info, I'm guessing that 3dpdt is a Standard stomp switch. The 2dpdt though, is that a on/on or on/off/on? If you remember the one you used or a link that be great.those spring loaded speaker terminals is a great idea, I was thinking of using good color coded alligators so I'd have room to move things around if needed, .
It's a 3pdt  toggle switch. The ones at Tayda are what I used.

https://www.taydaelectronics.com/electromechanical/switches-key-pad/toggle-switch/mini-toggle-switch-1m-series-3pdt-on-on.html

And a DPDT

https://www.taydaelectronics.com/electromechanical/switches-key-pad/toggle-switch/mini-toggle-switch-1m-series-dpdt-on-on-short-lever.html

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jessenator

I took too long and jimi got there first :P

Quote from: lego4040 on March 02, 2024, 02:49:25 PM
Thanks for info, I’m guessing that 3dpdt is a Standard stomp switch. The 2dpdt though, is that a on/on or on/off/on? If you remember the one you used or a link that be great.

For almost all of the projects out there (from the mainstays: Madbean, Effects Layouts, Aion, PedalPCB) the 3PDT foot switch is the standard. All of those mentioned typically have a separate PCB for the switch, which makes wiring a lot neater, though it might remove some of the 'good ol' days' for some folks :)

I've seen DPDT/2PDT foot switches for a handful of projects, including very traditional Rats, Klones, but for the most part, 3PDT is the way to go.

For foot switches, ON-ON is the norm (haven't built something yet that is an ON-off-ON). Toggles are another story, and a build guide will typically outline which one is the best.

As far as sourcing parts, for US-based sellers, you can't go wrong with Love My Switches, or Stompbox Parts. Small Bear, Amplified Parts / Antique Electronics Supply / Tubes & More are other options. When I started back in 2012 before a decade hiatus, Tayda was sort of maligned (not without good reasons), but they've come back in force. That's where most of my shopping gets done, but I definitely get critical parts domestically (BBDs, most ICs, etc.).

You'll get lots of opinions on which foot switch to get: what click type (regular or soft), what brand, what color (maybe), all with loads of guts comparisons of various brands, but they range anywhere from $2.50 to almost $20 with the mean being $3-$5

Here's a recommended one from LMS: https://lovemyswitches.com/pro-3pdt-latched-foot-switch-solder-lugs-feather-soft-click/
Here's one that I get from Tayda: https://www.taydaelectronics.com/electromechanical/switches-key-pad/stomp-switch/3pdt-stomp-foot-pedal-switch-fk-series-on-on.html

For my test rig, I actually use a soft click one, just because I'm a wuss and want a switch that's easier to actuate.

edit:
Oh wow, I think I'm way off the mark  :|  oh well, I'll my shame persist

lego4040

I believe I have a few of both in my stash, I've been stocking up since my first pedal build(NeoVibe) close to twenty years ago, eeck. Thanks for all the help guys, I got a new coworker going down this rabbit hole now with pedals(hasn't built one yet) but test driving all mine. I lent him an original BYOC MKii(0c75) Shin ei Fuzz(I will post a quezon these later) a Moodring and a Nurse Quacky to rock out this weekend. His brother makes beautiful solid body guitars as well. Might hit him up for one of build

jimilee

Toggle switches are the way to go with this. I'm assuming it will be sitting on your bench along with the circuit you're testing, not on the floor. Audio probing would be most difficult with it sitting on the floor.

lego4040

Itll be on the bench for sure, getting too old to be constantly bending over to tweak knobs. If I can find right switch I'll use a 3pdt toggle instead of stomp as well