News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD! (again)

Started by Timko, March 13, 2017, 08:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timko

The store I frequent had a 1991 Gibson Les Paul in for some work.  I've never been much of an LP guy, but this guitar looked and felt so good.  It was in for service, so I didn't get to play it, but I was pretty impressed.

A couple of days ago, I decided to look up "Les Paul" on Craigslist.  Much to my amazement, I found an interesting (and beautiful) instrument; a 2014 Les Paul Traditional in Desert Burst.  My teacher has a TeaBurst that I always found kind of attractive, but this DesertBurst with it's amber and copper tones really hit home with me.  So after some haggling, and me selling a G&L Legacy I don't play, I'm the proud owner of this thing.  I'm still on the fence about the pickups, but if you have a good shell, everything else is negotiable.

jimilee

Wait, you sold your g&l? Now you're gonna want one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Timko

Quote from: jimilee on March 13, 2017, 08:30:10 PM

It was a beautiful guitar (lake placid blue...mmm), but the body curves never worked for me. One of the things I like about my Marr is how it's got really tight lines and fits a small statured guy.  The body cuts is based off of a 1957 Strat.  I think if (well, when) I get another Strat it will be something based on a 50's contour.   My local store had a Squier Classic Vibe 50's in green that felt really really good; it was super light and resonant.  If I found one of those for a couple hundred used I'd scoop one up and use it as a shell.

Also, I haven't sold it yet; someone is coming to look at it on Friday.  So I have 5 days to decide to keep both of them. 

jimilee

Quote from: Timko on March 13, 2017, 08:42:13 PM

It was a beautiful guitar (lake placid blue...mmm), but the body curves never worked for me. One of the things I like about my Marr is how it's got really tight lines and fits a small statured guy.  The body cuts is based off of a 1957 Strat.  I think if (well, when) I get another Strat it will be something based on a 50's contour.   My local store had a Squier Classic Vibe 50's in green that felt really really good; it was super light and resonant.  If I found one of those for a couple hundred used I'd scoop one up and use it as a shell.

Also, I haven't sold it yet; someone is coming to look at it on Friday.  So I have 5 days to decide to keep both of them.
I have a few strays and one G&L I got for a steal. I love the warmth. Oh and I really love the looks of that lea paul. If get some '59 pafs for it if you're looking for suggestions.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Timko

Quote from: jimilee on March 13, 2017, 08:46:38 PM

I have a few strays and one G&L I got for a steal. I love the warmth. Oh and I really love the looks of that lea paul. If get some '59 pafs for it if you're looking for suggestions.

Actually, yes, the pickups are coming out for sure.  I don't need all that coil tapping nonsense, and I like low output pickups.  I assume the '59s are like that?  Are those SD pickups?

jimilee

Quote from: Timko on March 13, 2017, 09:15:17 PM
Quote from: jimilee on March 13, 2017, 08:46:38 PM

Actually, yes, the pickups are coming out for sure.  I don't need all that coil tapping nonsense, and I like low output pickups.  I assume the '59s are like that?  Are those SD pickups?
Several people make PAF clones so You have your choice of maker. There are certainly higher output pickups out there, the 59s are what was in the 59 Les
Paul.  I would describe it as growly.

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

stringsthings

All You Need Is Love

gordo

Give the Gibson pickups some time too. You might be surprised how good they compare to aftermarket stuff. Ditto with coil tapping. Not at all vintage but some cool options and if you like low output pickups like me then it opens up a ton of tones beyond normal buckers.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

culturejam

Nice score.  ;D  Welcome to the club.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Timko

Quote from: gordo on March 14, 2017, 03:25:41 AM
Give the Gibson pickups some time too. You might be surprised how good they compare to aftermarket stuff. Ditto with coil tapping. Not at all vintage but some cool options and if you like low output pickups like me then it opens up a ton of tones beyond normal buckers.

I play a Jag with underwound pickups as well as a Gretsch (Filtertrons are traditionally a low output humucking pickup), so I am used to the lower power stuff.

Also, it turns out my pickups aren't Gibsons; they're Altecs.  The guitar was a 2nd (for an unknown reason at this point; the finish issues with the binding are common among Epis) and they don't put ProBuckers in their 2nds apparently.  So I'll probably start hunting for some of those around 50 or 60 bucks for the pair.

pickdropper

That's a beauty.  Congrats!
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

alanp

There's a Tim on the forum who makes pick-ups; my faulty memory can't recall his forum handle, though...
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Timko

Quote from: alanp on March 15, 2017, 05:19:56 AM
There's a Tim on the forum who makes pick-ups; my faulty memory can't recall his forum handle, though...

VERY INTERESTED.  Especially if he can make me a set for a reasonable price.

m-Kresol

Quote from: Timko on March 15, 2017, 06:19:32 PM
Quote from: alanp on March 15, 2017, 05:19:56 AM

VERY INTERESTED.  Especially if he can make me a set for a reasonable price.

you are talking about timbo_93631. He mainly wound jazzmaster pickups (making one for me too :) ), but I'm sure he could do LP too if he has the appropriate materials. here's some of his demos: Soundcloud.com/timbo_93631
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials