News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pot sub resistor trick help

Started by Clayford, December 29, 2013, 06:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clayford

Pardon my ignorance - I'm learning how all of this actually "works" still.

I have a Mudbunny board I'm populating that I wanna play, and I don't have the 100k pots(on hand - order placed later today). I have a couple 250k and a 500k pot handy. I know I could use a couple resistors across lugs 1 and 3 to get the "correct" pot value . I'm of the understanding (perhaps incorrectly) that the resistor trick is only to be used in a variable resistor situation, not in a voltage divider one.
My questions:
Does it matter which way they're being used as to do the trick?

What function are these pots?
My guess is Voltage divider for Vol and Sustain as I'm seeing 9v come in lug 3 of both.
Tone seems to be variable resistor? Blending between two caps to ground?
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

dwmorrin

Quote from: Clayford on December 29, 2013, 06:35:59 PM
Pardon my ignorance - I'm learning how all of this actually "works" still.

I have a Mudbunny board I'm populating that I wanna play, and I don't have the 100k pots(on hand - order placed later today). I have a couple 250k and a 500k pot handy. I know I could use a couple resistors across lugs 1 and 3 to get the "correct" pot value . I'm of the understanding (perhaps incorrectly) that the resistor trick is only to be used in a variable resistor situation, not in a voltage divider one.
My questions:
Does it matter which way they're being used as to do the trick?
Putting a resistor across lugs 1 and 3 will lower the overall resistance.  Doesn't matter if voltage divider or variable resistor.  A resistor from lugs 2 to 3 is common for making linear pots work like audio pots.
If you're trying to finish a build, just wait for the 100k pots.  If you're experimenting, and just want to clip pots in, then 250k pots will be fine for testing purposes, and attach 220k resistors across 1&3 to see the difference.  The 100k is by no means a "critical" value.
What function are these pots?
My guess is Voltage divider for Vol and Sustain as I'm seeing 9v come in lug 3 of both.
Tone seems to be variable resistor? Blending between two caps to ground?
Volume and sustain are passive, ac voltage dividers.  There is no 9V on any of the pots.  The caps block dc.  Anywhere you see a cap, consider that a dc "roadblock."
Tone control is a passive ac voltage mixer.  The inputs are 1&3, and the output is 2.  The output of Q3 is split into a high-pass RC filter, and a low-pass RC filter, and the outputs of those filters connect to tone pot's 1&3 "inputs."

Clayford

Thanks for the explanation. I wound up hooking up the resistor'd pots and tested out my board. After a couple dodgy 2N5088's were replaced everything worked as expected. I wound up getting 125-130k pots out of my resistor mods and everything seems to be working just fine. I've been holding off on a Tayda order waiting for a code, which hasn't happened. I'll order this weekend and everyone can thank me for triggering the discount.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded