News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Faceplate etching tips...need some!

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, December 18, 2013, 01:48:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muddyfox

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on December 19, 2013, 10:04:25 PM
Tried 5 different times with 5 different techniques. Sanding, prepping, toners, even different irons. All turn out like garbage!
Done with aluminum for a while.

You and me both. I'm actually amazed that I got those two enclosures somewhat right. Everything else was just one giant fail.

billstein

Govmnt_Lacky

I get the aluminum from my work. I have only been able to get one etch to go right out of about 15 or 20 attempts.

If anyone out the wants to try to etch me an aluminum faceplate for a multiplex build I would pay. I'm just so frustrated that I am done etching aluminum. Or, if someone can let go of black FR4 I would be grateful.

Stomptown

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on December 19, 2013, 11:23:29 PM
I get the aluminum from my work. I have only been able to get one etch to go right out of about 15 or 20 attempts.

If anyone out the wants to try to etch me an aluminum faceplate for a multiplex build I would pay. I'm just so frustrated that I am done etching aluminum. Or, if someone can let go of black FR4 I would be grateful.

This is the stuff you need:

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=7129&step=4&showunits=inches&id=240&top_cat=60

Josh (1776) gave me the link a while ago and I've never had issues. The shipping is a little expensive, but it is perfect for faceplates and they will cut it to the dimension of your choosing.

gordo

Right there with you.  I've had a couple of successful etches on hammond boxes but most of them have been disastrous.  I think the ones that worked were full moon or solar flares or something.  I'll likely keep trying from time to time cuz I'm an idiot/optimist but will remain thankful for my few success'
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jubal81

Quote from: Stomptown on December 20, 2013, 02:30:40 AM
Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on December 19, 2013, 11:23:29 PM

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=7129&step=4&showunits=inches&id=240&top_cat=60

Josh (1776) gave me the link a while ago and I've never had issues. The shipping is a little expensive, but it is perfect for faceplates and they will cut it to the dimension of your choosing.

That's the exact spot where I get mine.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Govmnt_Lacky

I appreciate the link!  ;)

I KNOW that the aluminum I have from my work can be etched. I was able to successfully etch a plate from it ONCE  :-\

Right now, I just dont have the time, resources (the PnP expendature on this one plate alone is up to about $5-6) or patience to make another attempt right now.

If anyone wants to try to make one for me OR anyone has a spare piece of BLACK FR4 for a 1590BB faceplate..... let me know a price and we can work something out. Can trade for parts as well. Gotta Lotta stuff  8)

Clayford

Quote from: Stomptown on December 20, 2013, 02:30:40 AM

These guys have a shop close to me. I wonder...
They have business offices close to me. Scratch that.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded