News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Go download my new song (track 2 added!)

Started by midwayfair, September 10, 2014, 07:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

Or just read the blog post if you want some juicy details about writing songs about astronomy and how little gear actually got used on the recording. ;)

http://midwayfair.org/2014/09/10/song-sources-most-distant-star/

jubal81

Dig it a lot! Great song, great performance and the mix is spot on. First take vocals? Wow.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

bcalla

That's a cool song and a really nice arrangement.  What do you use for instrumentation when you perform live?  There are only 3 of you, right?

midwayfair

Quote from: bcalla on September 10, 2014, 08:14:33 PM
That's a cool song and a really nice arrangement.  What do you use for instrumentation when you perform live?  There are only 3 of you, right?

Right now we're guitar, keys, and bass. Things will be changing a little bit soon.

We used to have a drummer, but he decided to have a kid and learn a new career instead of playing music with us. Thbbbt.

sonarchotic

drolo

Wow really nice song indeed and great story :-)

selfdestroyer

Finally was able to sit down with some headphones tonight and give it a listen. The production sounds great Jon. I really like the main guitar riff and the "chimyness" of your guitar. The song gives me an overal anthem feel to it. Like a march song of sorts and I like that quality in songs. I think thats why I like most Arcade Fire songs.. they have a march/anthem feel to them.

I hope the best on sales for your new CD and hope you get to play some cool places this year.

Cody

wgc

Makes me think of Irish fields, missing someone you love. 

Only on the moon.  :)

Great work all around, and love the blog post, which was almost perfectly timed with song playback. 
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

midwayfair

Thanks for the comments on the song and the blog post, folks, it means a lot that people take the time to give feedback.

Quote from: selfdestroyer on September 12, 2014, 10:30:43 AMLike a march song of sorts and I like that quality in songs.

Me too! And luckily it's one of the easiest ways to fit folk melodies into a rock song. (It probably has to do with the emphasis falling on 1 and 3 instead of 2 and 4.) My favorite U2 songs are also the "march" songs -- usually the first or second song on the album, like Pride or Sunday Bloody Sunday, and obviously the production on this song owes something to them (even if the delay is quarter notes instead of .8ths). Chris picked up on that immediately for his drum part, and I owe him big for his help with the production side of things.

Leevibe

midwayfair

Rather than start a new thread, here's track two:

http://midwayfair.org/2014/09/17/song-sources-gone-to-california/

Suitable for tremolo and Americana lovers and fans of girl group drum beats.