News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Beastmaster

Started by DuctTapeRiot, November 28, 2011, 05:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuctTapeRiot

Here is a GGG Brassmaster that I made for a bassist friend. This was my first envirotex pour and I am super impressed with the results, but there has got to be a better way to get somewhat of a nice clean edge along the bottom. I used the method of taping a cardboard edge around the bottom to allow the envirotex to keep running down, which worked well, but I think I waited too long to trim it off as it wound up a little ragged.

This was crazy tight in the 1590BB and I never was able to get the nut on the inside of the DC jack.

The friend has rocked it out a couple of times and says it is awesome, he can get some good OD type sounds and lots of low end coming through with the Bass knob up, but he says that the Brass(Beast) and Sensitivity knobs need to be adjusted as all the usable range is in the first 1/4 turn. Its a monster of a pedal, they were worried about breaking gear.  Demo to come soon.

For paint I have been using custom mixed colors that a local auto shop does in small batches for me and this Peval spray gun thing that uses small canisters of compressed air and a little bottle to essentially make a spray can using any color.  It works great and you can really see the metalic sparkle in this one.

Guts.  Total spaghetti. If I do one of these again I will definitely lose the "Harmonics" switch as it sounds way better with it on. Living up to my handle, or ran out of electrical tape, you decide.

nzCdog

Such a cool circuit... nice finish too.  Gotta try me that envirotex stuff sometime, it looks really good :)

LaceSensor

thats awesome

how many pedals can an 8oz envirotex do? tutorials anywhere?

DuctTapeRiot

Quote from: LaceSensor on November 28, 2011, 07:04:20 PM
how many pedals can an 8oz envirotex do? tutorials anywhere?

I used 4oz (2oz resin 2oz hardener) and that was pretty much bang on for one 1590BB and one 1590BB. For tutorials I havent seen any youtube ones but there are some pretty good posts here and elsewhere.

TNblueshawk

Very nice build DTR.

Lace, I have found that I waste more than I need to on the epoxy. I know a guy who scoops up the waste. I'm afraid of getting waste in my waste so I have not done this. The learning curve is you will waste more at first as you get a feel for the pour etc... I also learned this weekend when it is cold in my garage and the mix is cold it pours slower and I ended up wasting more as I was impatient and poured more. I think I'll store the stuff inside my house now.

I picked up Parks epoxy glaze at Home Depot this weekend. I'll try that brand but I'm told it is the exact stuff. For two 16 oz bottles it was $22. I can easily get 6 pedals out of it. I would love to get my technique down to get 7 or 8 but alas my waste issue. Don't forget you have the lid to do as well.
John

DuctTapeRiot

Quote from: TNblueshawk on November 29, 2011, 04:24:46 PMFor two 16 oz bottles it was $22.

Man, it was $25 (CAD) for the 16 ounce kit (2 8 oz bottles) up here, rediculous.  I was able to find the gallon kit on Amazon for $90 shipped so thats where I am going. In for a penny in for a pound I guess.

TNblueshawk

Quote from: DuctTapeRiot on November 29, 2011, 04:50:23 PM
Quote from: TNblueshawk on November 29, 2011, 04:24:46 PMFor two 16 oz bottles it was $22.

Man, it was $25 (CAD) for the 16 ounce kit (2 8 oz bottles) up here, rediculous.  I was able to find the gallon kit on Amazon for $90 shipped so thats where I am going. In for a penny in for a pound I guess.

I've thought about that gallon purchase. In the long run that would be the way to do it for sure. The Envirotex runs for about $40 at Michaels here but then they have a 40% coupon you can print and use. Ace Hardware runs it at around $23 or so bucks. Hobby Lobby bends you over with no coupon. (for you Americano's)
John

DuctTapeRiot

Quote from: TNblueshawk on November 29, 2011, 05:27:41 PM
Quote from: DuctTapeRiot on November 29, 2011, 04:50:23 PM

I've thought about that gallon purchase. In the long run that would be the way to do it for sure. The Envirotex runs for about $40 at Michaels here but then they have a 40% coupon you can print and use. Ace Hardware runs it at around $23 or so bucks. Hobby Lobby bends you over with no coupon. (for you Americano's)

Hmm, we have Michaels here, I wonder if they do the online cupons up here?  Investigation is in order. Either way that $#@% is expensive.  Can you imagine doing a whole bartop. You could blow a grand pretty easy.

TNblueshawk

Go onto Michael's website and it is the coupon where it is 40% of any one item. I have not read the "fine print" but it is worth a shot for sure.
John

sgmezei

Michaels is a ripoff. You can get the coupons online from them. Sign up for their newsletter. They are still a ripoff with a coupon.

I have a bottle bot not yet tried it. Did you pour, dry then drill your holes afterwards?

Also, I tried Fibreglass resin from Canadian Tire (cheap for alot of it) but it didn't work too well. It yellows and did not seem to cure well even though I followed the directions closely. It was really thick to pour and was kind of brittle when dry. I ended up redoing the enclosure.

Scott

DuctTapeRiot

Quote from: sgmezei on November 29, 2011, 09:52:40 PM
Did you pour, dry then drill your holes afterwards?

I did cut out all the holes on this one and the other full face i did recently and let it drip though. Next time though I am going to leave the holes covered, and actually cover the side holes with clear decal and then drill them after the pour is fully hardened (like 4-5 days). I wound up having to drill out the screw holes in the back plates of the last two and it worked no problem.

TNblueshawk

Quote from: sgmezei on November 29, 2011, 09:52:40 PM
Michaels is a ripoff. You can get the coupons online from them. Sign up for their newsletter. They are still a ripoff with a coupon.

I have a bottle bot not yet tried it. Did you pour, dry then drill your holes afterwards?

Also, I tried Fibreglass resin from Canadian Tire (cheap for alot of it) but it didn't work too well. It yellows and did not seem to cure well even though I followed the directions closely. It was really thick to pour and was kind of brittle when dry. I ended up redoing the enclosure.

Scott

Scott, I don't follow. How do you mean ripoff? With the coupon it brings the price (where I'm at anyway) in line with what the others are selling at. Or are you meaning some other kind of ripoff other than price? I didn't have to sign up for any newsletter to print mine.
John

sgmezei

Sorry I should clarify. I find alot of the craft supplies they sell can be found at other places for much less. The coupon does bring some items down to what others are selling for.

I was talking about art supplies and stickers mostly. I find alot of the EXACT same brands at the dollar store. My example is some of the stickers I use for labelling. Same brand and product at dollar store $1.00, same exact item at Michaels $6.99. So even with the coupon its not worth it on some stuff.

Mine was just a cautionary tale I guess. Just search around but if you need to get it at Michaels go print off a coupon.

So, where do you find the coupon on there site? I just took a look and could not find it.

TNblueshawk

Ah, got you and I agree. In fact, a few months ago was the first time I walked into Michael's in a long time. Let me fish around for the coupon and I'll stop back in.

Edit: Does this link work http://dealspl.us/michaels-coupons/336723p
John

sgmezei

Yeah it sure does. I signed up for their newsletter again so I should be getting them. I am stocked for right now but should get coupons regularly again.

Thanks for your help!