News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Changing amps

Started by Tremster, February 05, 2016, 11:26:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tremster

Recently I sold this amp

Framus Ruby Riot with mods (vintage AC30 specs, halfpower switch etc.), German made, English Celestions, quality parts etc. etc.

and bought that amp (used)

Blackstar ID Core 10 (cheap tiny modeling practice amp for home use).

Cool huh?

Nah, I'd have bought the Blackstar or some similar amp anyway (I tested the Fender Mustang 1 as well, too big even for the apartment, and the Blackstar sounds better to my ears), I needed something quiet for home use. For that, it really is more than OK.
I still have 1x12" tube amps.
The Framus has just stood around for years. Too loud, even for Clubs here, I could never turn it higher than "3", and it was only the clean channel I was absolutely satisfied with. In the last band I never used it anymore, just the 1x12 combo, so I finally decided it had to go.

culturejam

That's a hell of a change up.

Pretty amazing how far modeling amps are coming. I have a Yamaha THR10 that is awesome.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

matmosphere

A friend of mine bought the tiny plastic amp Blackstar makes just to keep by his couch. It actually sounds decent, I was really surprised. It doesn't hold a candle to his real amp, a Blackstar HT40 Club, but for what it is intended for I think it's great.

I haven't seen much about the new modeling amps. I'll have to take a look sometime. My brother has been looking for a small tube amp. He has a Fender Deville from the nineties, it's ridiculously loud. He said he hasn't turned it past one in years. I played with it, it's like the controls are all reverse audio taper. It gets way too loud way too fast.

mrclean77

Cool! I had been eyeing small (tiny) amps for a little while just to have something to leave on the test bench and/or something with a headphone in...just hadn't gotten around to making one. Santa brought the itty-bitty battery-operated Blackstar and same comment: REALLY surprised at the tone coming from this thing. It ACTUALLY sounds like an amp and not like I plugged into a refurbished GameBoy. (And it has a headphone out AND an aux in AND it will fit on my bench AND it has built-in delay)

rullywowr

I have nice tube amps (Fenders up to a Marshall 2555 100w beast) however lately I just picked up a Vox Mini3 G2. 

What a great little battery powered (6x "AA") or plug in (included) practice amp.  Built in effects, reverb, delay, tons of different models, mic input... and it can get very loud.  It's perfect for testing pedals, bringing to a small jam session, or just playing around the house.  Highly impressed! 

It is amazing how technology has progressed.  If I only had something like this when I first started playing.  :)

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

add4

i went from this amp

fender tremolux blonde january 62. listed around 2700 $ today

to this one

1980s polytone mini brute I : 25 euros second hand (normally sells around 4-500 euros here), no tube, all transistors, bandaxall 3 bands and volume. and a treble/mid/dark switch which transforms the amp from a wes montgomery tone to an (almost fendersish) tone. takes pedals magnificently, 120 watts of pure, perfect clean tone, mort dynamic and direct than any tube amp i've tried. small, and lightweight. what's not to love?

not missing my fender .. it's been 3 years. it's now sleeping patiently in my parent's attic, getting a little bit more expensive as the time passes.

davent

Sold the amp but i hope kept the car...

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

matmosphere

Quote from: davent on February 05, 2016, 06:38:27 PM

dave

That was my first thought too.

juansolo

Quote from: Matmosphere on February 05, 2016, 06:54:16 PM

dave

That was my first thought too.

I was utterly gutted when I went to have a look at a 356 one day and I just couldn't get comfortable in it. Pretty, pretty cars.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Mich P

25 EUROS  i like that !
Mich P.

add4

Quote from: Mich P on February 06, 2016, 01:51:20 PM
25 EUROS  i like that !
Mich P.

Pure luck. All my jazzmen friands still hate me for that. A classical case of "I'm selling the old stuff of my husband and i have no idea of how much it's worth"

Tremster

I did keep the car, but I'll have it refinished in green & white plaid.

No, I did a picture search for that amp and found that tacky Framus ad. I actually think it might be shopped.

nzCdog

I'm the opposite... I went from this amp (now neglected in storage)

To this amp:  (18w Plexi voiced TMB)

It's fair to say modelling has come a long way since the Vetta II, but I still prefer the simplicity of old school. (For now ;D )

lightsoundgeometry

I want a blackstar amp so bad ..you have no idea

i am currently trying to sell my vox amp so i can get a ht60 or one of those ht-5r amps

they remind me of crate amps which are very underrated and have the sound my ears like.

jimilee

I just played a black star club series 40 watt yesterday, amazing, I must have one. Is there a pedal that clones it maybe?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.