News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

OC44 - Am I the Only One...

Started by frankie5fingers, February 21, 2013, 06:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankie5fingers

... that finds this trannie souding pretty ratty in a Rangemaster?  I'm completely unimpressed with the OC44.  It's not only ratty and harsh but it's pretty weak when using the bridge pickup. which I never expected from a treble booster.  I have an AC125 and a GT108V, as well as a Hitachi 2sb77 on the way.  Any other suggestions or favorites in this circuit?  I'd like a broader range and some clarity and smoothness in the tone.  It's the MB Rangemaster with no mods, BTW.
Thanks, Frank

stecykmi

do you know the gain and leakage of your device?

midwayfair

Quote from: frankie5fingers on February 21, 2013, 06:08:26 PMIt's the MB Rangemaster with no mods, BTW.
Thanks, Frank

No mods, including the biasing resistors? Do you have 7v on the collector? Definite "ratty" sounding -- do you mean it's gating? And it's going to be harsh going into some amps ... it's a treble booster. Your bridge pickup has less bass than the other pickups, so it's not driving the transistor as hard, so it's also going to sound "weaker" there.

frankie5fingers

I don't remember the hFE and leakage numbers, it's an old one I found in my transistors box, didn't even know I had one.  Certainly it could be just unsuitable.  It's just a disappointment cause the black glass looks so cool.  No mods at all, I didn't even add the range knob like I intended to, just the stock MB build spec with a .015 in C2.  It comes up a little hotter at the collector but it's not gating either.  The build is great, works perfectly.    I see what you mean about the bridge pickup.  I'm sure I'll find the right tweak.  Any other transistor faves for this circuit?